Corkill 'was Misled' By Mea

Jimcalagon

And the person wot wrote it was probably doing a dozen other things, most to a looming deadline.

What are you suggesting Stu? That they failed to be arsed fully reporting proceedings because they were too busy? If there was any more important news this week I might buy it but the MR website has been devoid of news for the last 3 days and I seriously doubt that flicking through that important bit on the MEA because you have to get to that article about the Ramsey friggin pier again hardly cuts the mustard.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope - not suggesting that at all. In fact, I'm still not convinced that there's anything factually wrong about our report - although since I wasn't there I can't really comment.

Is the Manx Herald a legitimate medium? Does it comply with the relevant codes or is it written by a hobbyist with an axe to grind (I've not looked at it so my questions are genuine).

It sometimes makes me smile when people on here say that MF is a better source of news than the mainstream media. The difference is that it's relatively easy to newsbot something from an automated RSS feed, or post something without doing 'due diligence' on it (although the Mods here do a good job of nailing the most persistent potential defendants) and providing balance and fair chance of reply. We 'mainstreamers' might hear of a story, but then have to hang around to organise interviews with the people involved before we can 'publish' a story...and it all takes time. We also work to deadlines (something I assume the Manx Herald and MF posters don't).

We've had this on our website, along with dozens of other stories this week (I know because I've probably posted 40 of them myself). Be assured that the Ramsey Pier and the Supreme Show Champion stories will have been MORE important to some people than the MEA saga. IF our report from the MEA hearing was incorrect, let me know why and I'll take it up at the office. It's not a case of somebody not giving a damn - our people are VERY motivated and skilled at getting things right...although inevitably mistakes will happen from time to time. I'm just not convinced we're wrong THIS time.

Edited to add: Just had a look at the Manx Herald. I had seen it before, but not for some time. Interesting that I couldn't find any details of the publisher or proprietor.

We've had this on our website, along with dozens of other stories this week (I know because I've probably posted 40 of them myself). Be assured that the Ramsey Pier and the Supreme Show Champion stories will have been MORE important to some people than the MEA saga. IF our report from the MEA hearing was incorrect, let me know why and I'll take it up at the office. It's not a case of somebody not giving a damn - our people are VERY motivated and skilled at getting things right...although inevitably mistakes will happen from time to time. I'm just not convinced we're wrong THIS time.

Edited to add: Just had a look at the Manx Herald. I had seen it before, but not for some time. Interesting that I couldn't find any details of the publisher or proprietor.

Stu,

I think what causes the criticism is that your news isn't fitted to their personal take on the story. You seem to be waiting for the full facts and the report (dman your professionalism) rather than diving in and commenting on one person's evidence as if that were 100% true and accurate.

It's all like Tynwald setting the committee up in the first place because PKF had the temerity to not hold "Mikey P and the Board" responsible for everything.

Nope - not suggesting that at all. In fact, I'm still not convinced that there's anything factually wrong about our report - although since I wasn't there I can't really comment.

No need to be quite so defensive I didn't suggest there was anything wrong with the (terminally short) report, but I think more people are interested in the submissions to the MEA enquiry than Ramsey bloody pier.

I only have one question really. I'm not supporting the Manx Herald but I assume they actually had a 'reporter' (unnamed or not) at the enquiry as the 'report' reads like a transcript from an eye witness. Yours reads like it was faxed in from a third party. Do you know if MR actually had a reporter on the spot for it?

The best of this sort of thing is the voluminous and verbose reports by Isle of Man Newspapers about Douglas Corporation meetings and what the 'Council Leader' has to say.......

Best and cheapest way is to let Wavey Davey give them the feeds and quotes for their endless Council 'Reports'.

Probably best to report f**k all than to report gobsh*te.

But that doesn't fill column inches does it.

No need to be quite so defensive I didn't suggest there was anything wrong with the (terminally short) report, but I think more people are interested in the submissions to the MEA enquiry than Ramsey bloody pier.

I only have one question really. I'm not supporting the Manx Herald but I assume they actually had a 'reporter' (unnamed or not) at the enquiry as the 'report' reads like a transcript from an eye witness. Yours reads like it was faxed in from a third party. Do you know if MR actually had a reporter on the spot for it?

Yes, I believe we did.

Archived