[BBC News] New operator to run Douglas tip

Newsbot

Thank fcuk the 'operators' of the Douglas Amenity Site are changing.

I've found the staff and general operation there to be crap compared to the other sites around the Island, hopefully with some proper organisation, it could become a recycling facility instead of just a tip!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've found the staff and general operation there to be crap compared to the other sites around the Island, hopefully with some proper organisation, it could become a recycling facility instead of just a tip!

I doubt it. In fact I'd be surprised if they will actually get corpy workers to work on a Saturday or Sunday without paying them triple time. I'm also waiting to experience that "couldn't give a fuck" attitude you usually get from any corpy operative, and lugging the heavy rubbish out of the car unassisted as any assisted heavy lifting will likely be a "health and safety" issue.

Lets just see shall we ...

Thank fcuk the 'operators' of the Douglas Amenity Site are changing.

I thought they were excellent till after shimmin stuck his nose in :)

I see on Douglas Corp website they state the hours as :

Summer:

Monday to Saturday, 8.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.

Sunday, 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.

To use the facility you must obtain a permit and these are obtainable from the offices of Braddan Parish Commissioners telephone (01624) 852808 or on line at www.braddan.gov.im

does anyone know if you can still just turn up or do you still have to have a permit

(or do we only discover this when we have a car full of rubbish ?)

I see on Douglas Corp website they state the hours as :

Summer:

Monday to Saturday, 8.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.

Sunday, 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.

To use the facility you must obtain a permit and these are obtainable from the offices of Braddan Parish Commissioners telephone (01624) 852808 or on line at www.braddan.gov.im

does anyone know if you can still just turn up or do you still have to have a permit

http://www.braddan.gov.im/news.aspx?NewsID=644

They did away with the permits ages ago so does this mean that you now have to have one again?

It sounds like its just creating another role for some jobsworth tosspot to do - i.e turn away people who have no permit when they didn't realise they needed a permit in the first place.

As for Tel's staff I thought they were good. I too wonder what sort of unhelpful corporation nob-ends will be watching you dump your crap from their deckchairs.

They did away with the permits ages ago so does this mean that you now have to have one again?

It sounds like its just creating another role for some jobsworth tosspot to do - i.e turn away people who have no permit when they didn't realise they needed a permit in the first place.

As for Tel's staff I thought they were good. I too wonder what sort of unhelpful corporation nob-ends will be watching you dump your crap from their deckchairs.

I was there on Monday - no permit needed. And, yes, there was a corpy knob-end watching from a chair....

I went on Saturday, the first day open under new management and they were very helpful.

I have to dsay some of the things I have been hearing about how it is to be run sound very encouraging, particularly the re-cycling of stuff.

Yup Gladys, but now they have started 'operation jobsworth'

I was there on Monday unloading as a carfull fo suits turned up. At that point, the guy nearby came over and started looking through the back of my jeep. He noticed ONE bottle in a crate of paint cans and stated that I needed to deposit that in the bottle bank.

So of course - not wanting to argue - drove round the facility, and pulled up at the back of the building by the office, walked across, dropped the ONE bottle into the bottle bin and got back in my car and left. As SOON as I stopped, all the suits started pointing and discussing where I had stopped as it was not a marked parkign spot.

I despise Douglas Corp, they have used our rate money to build a spangly new HQ at Ballacottier, yet they have chained off their old premise's car spaces thus contributing to the screw up that is Tescos. Dog in a Manger attitude and jobsworths to boot.

AND ANOTHER THING! While I am on the tescos bollox, who's bright idea was it to change the unused bus stop into an unused Taxi Rank? Bloody idiot you are if you are reading.

(Disclaimer - Any insults to various parties/persons are my own, and as such are copyrighted, so no jumping on the bandwagon without paying me first) ;)

Archived