Home That Needs No Heating.

bluemonday

Only downside I can see is that it's not a cheap building alternative - coming in at top end traditional prices. I asked the manufacturer what it would cost for a modest 2/3 bed detached house on a plot you already owned, and he said a 150 sq.metre home would cost £150-180,000. I dunno about land prices, but I guess you're looking at over £300k in total.

Mind you - if you can afford the initial costs, the lifetime energy savings must be enormous. You need to build south-facing and have big triple glazed windows on that side to get the heat into the place, small or no windows on the north side and it needs to be virtually airtight (fresh air is pumped in as part of the heat exchanger technology).

Wolf are setting up an IOM operation (at the moment they're UK/Ireland based). If I could afford one bigger than a tool shed, I'd be second on the list!

strange how things come back into fashion, the old manx cottages and farmhouses in the country always faced south, had thick walls and no or very small windows in the north side and had a shelter-belt of trees to the prevailing wind.

it's just like camping really, choosing where to pitch the tent and which way to face the door :)

I wonder how it compares with a scandanavian log cabin for economy ?

(been watching too much 'Grand Designs' on the telly !)

strange how things come back into fashion, the old manx cottages and farmhouses in the country always faced south, had thick walls and no or very small windows in the north side and had a shelter-belt of trees to the prevailing wind.

What I like is that people promote these things as if they were new, or even revolutionary.

Like wind mills.

I heat by electricity, I have done for years, quite simply because it is cheaper.

No it isn't.

Oh yes it is!!!

How much does a boiler cost, installed, with radiators, oil tank etc.?

Edit to add - a quick look at interweb shows I can get a tank for £300, a boiler, radiator, valves etc. kit for £2000, add £200 for delivery, £1000 for fitting is £3500, or approximately 10 years heating by electricity. And that is before you start to fill your tank or maintain your boiler.

Edit to add - a quick look at interweb shows I can get a tank for £300, a boiler, radiator, valves etc. kit for £2000, add £200 for delivery, £1000 for fitting is £3500, or approximately 10 years heating by electricity. And that is before you start to fill your tank or maintain your boiler.

Oh, are electric heaters and boilers free then?

I used electricity for heating our water in a 3 bed house occupied by five in conjuction with a back boiler, and it cost a lot more than 30 quid a month.

I'm on gas now, a nice efficient combi boiler, and it's cheaper.

Archived