Home That Needs No Heating.

bluemonday

I heat by electricity, I have done for years, quite simply because it is cheaper.

No it isn't.

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/oft/comparative...hedulejuly4.pdf

Some Comfy heat tariffs are cheaper than oil and some of the gas tarrifs, MEA still haven't replied to my email asking for further details (sent over a week ago).

Is this the tariff you get Cambon?

Some Comfy heat tariffs are cheaper than oil and some of the gas tarrifs, MEA still haven't replied to my email asking for further details (sent over a week ago).

Cheaper than an open gas fire, not a gas boiler. See natural gas is cheaper than oil on there. Where's Roger Smelly? He was telling us his 2.5 grand gas to oil conversion was going to pay itself back in a year!

I want a Toshiba Micro Nuclear Reactor for my house.

:nuke: :nuke: !!!!!!!!PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM CENTRAL DOUGLAS!!!!!!!!! :nuke: :nuke:

http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-e...ear-12.17b.html

Nice site slinky :thumbsup:

I was looking at the nanotechnology area myself and watched over an hours worth of info about nanotechnology and the various areas it covers.

It's a fascinating topic and the site you've found is like icing on the cake for me. Absolute brill and thanks

No, I use standard tariff. I have my house VERY well insulated, and even on the odd cold day we get the most heating I would use is 2 kw. In general there is a 750 kw on a low setting keepin the chill off the house all winter, and a 1kw that is on in the living room on a medium setting for 4 hours in the evening when required. However, we are lucky to live in a country that is not cold and central heating is not really required.

What all this means is that while I keep just as warm and cosy as anyone else, I don't use waste the carbon equivalent of running an additional car each year as Slim does.

I want a Toshiba Micro Nuclear Reactor for my house.

Me too! Anyone know if Toshiba are planning to make a compact plutonium reprocessing plant accessory for this? I need some plutonium for... ah... a school project.

No, I use standard tariff. I have my house VERY well insulated, and even on the odd cold day we get the most heating I would use is 2 kw. In general there is a 750 kw on a low setting keepin the chill off the house all winter, and a 1kw that is on in the living room on a medium setting for 4 hours in the evening when required. However, we are lucky to live in a country that is not cold and central heating is not really required.

What all this means is that while I keep just as warm and cosy as anyone else, I don't use waste the carbon equivalent of running an additional car each year as Slim does.

Ah, the famous cambon goalpost shift! The above doesn't mean electricity is cheaper, it means your using your heating more efficiently. I use fek all gas too, we rarely have it on, and the boiler is mostly for water heating, which from a combi boiler is extremely efficient.

Just because you only heat one room, doesn't make your general statement that electricity is cheaper correct.

I laughed at the Daily Mail (or whichever) headline recently that UK homes could be paying £1000 a year for their energy.

I've been spending WAY over that (probably around £150 a month on average) for years in a modest 2-bed flat with double glazing, no immersion heater (gas boiler) and even that set on a timer to take the chill off in the morning and again around teatime. I'd love to build an eco house, but my aspirations exceed the mortgage possible from my modest stipend by around 100%.

Ah, the famous cambon goalpost shift! The above doesn't mean electricity is cheaper, it means your using your heating more efficiently. I use fek all gas too, we rarely have it on, and the boiler is mostly for water heating, which from a combi boiler is extremely efficient.

Just because you only heat one room, doesn't make your general statement that electricity is cheaper correct.

What a load of cock! The whole house is heated. It averages around 18C. It is totally electric. When the governments finally get their asses in gear and carbon free electricity, my heating will have no carbon emmission. How is that goal post shifting. Surely zero emmissions is the goalpost!

I have been running an energy efficient house for over 15 years. I am not one of these "green bandwagon jumpers" like you.

I laughed at the Daily Mail (or whichever) headline recently that UK homes could be paying £1000 a year for their energy.

I've been spending WAY over that (probably around £150 a month on average) for years in a modest 2-bed flat with double glazing, no immersion heater (gas boiler) and even that set on a timer to take the chill off in the morning and again around teatime. I'd love to build an eco house, but my aspirations exceed the mortgage possible from my modest stipend by around 100%.

Stu, you need a new boiler. £150/month!? That's shocking. Just on heating? We probably spend less than £300 a year on heating. We don't live in an efficient house, not by a long way! But we have solid fuel central heating, which means no coal, no heat. We don't put the immersion on for hot water as we have a dishwasher and an electric shower. People will use energy just because it's there, you probably don't need the heating to come on in the morning, you'd just prefer not to feel cold when you get out of the shower. People will sit around their houses in winter wearing t-shirts with no socks and put the heating on because they're cold.

If the price rises encourage people to be a little more frugal with their energy use then it can't be all bad. No-one is going to get a pay rise equivalent to the gas price increase so instead of the majority of people moaning about how they're going to find 30% more cash to pay their bills, they should be finding ways to save 30% more energy.

What a load of cock! The whole house is heated. It averages around 18C. It is totally electric. When the governments finally get their asses in gear and carbon free electricity, my heating will have no carbon emmission. How is that goal post shifting. Surely zero emmissions is the goalpost!

I have been running an energy efficient house for over 15 years. I am not one of these "green bandwagon jumpers" like you.

Electric isn't cheaper than gas. You changed your story to 'I'm more efficient', but you could be more efficient with gas too, and that's cheaper.

Archived