Best Place For Sunday Lunch

smirnoffwrecker

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Went for a Christmas dinner in Douglas on Saturday. There were no sprouts. Very disappointing

It’s November FFS!

That being said I bought an Xmas wreath, two Amaryllis and some hyacinths,  yesterday, in Garstang. 

On 6/7/2021 at 10:28 AM, Amadeus said:

HQ recently got new chefs and is now doing a seriously nice roast on Sundays and lunch / dinner during the week. I admit I'm biased but I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't actually really nice. 

1312812480_Roast(5).jpg

1376773889_Creme(1).jpg

I really wish people wouldn’t take pictures of their food in restaurants and post it on on social media. You are far from the only one doing it but it seems to me a little uncouth.

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I really wish people wouldn’t take pictures of their food in restaurants and post it on on social media. You are far from the only one doing it but it seems to me a little uncouth.

I think you really missed the point. The “biased” bit is the giveaway. Mrs A May be connected to the kitchen. Just a bit of harmless promo/advertising.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I think you really missed the point. The “biased” bit is the giveaway. Mrs A May be connected to the kitchen. Just a bit of harmless promo/advertising.

Also a bit of a strange one.

I'd say it's useful to be able to decide whether you want to eat there or not. 

8 hours ago, quilp said:

By looking at a photo..? 

I remember many years ago the chap with the Peter Wyngarde type profile picture  on here ( Bananaman?) posted a picture of a self made meal to try and demonstrate how good it was. He was met with ridicule and derision for posting a picture of his creation.

Seems he was some sort of trailblazer. Since then it seems to have become de rigeur to take a picture of your food ( your own or restaurant fodder) and post it on social media.

I’m not a fan. 

I seem to be doing a Sunday tour of the Brewery Pubs

This Sunday was the Cat with no Tail. Expectations were modest. Expectations were satisfied and even exceeded. Great value too.

It was really good. No so good as the Station in Port Erin (which was amazing) and better than the Terminus (which was OK and would have been better if it wasn't freezing in there).

I'm thinking of doing a fantasy league - league table

There is an article in todays Telegraph about a chap Martin Taylor who has been to all 4,500 pubs in the Good Beer Guide ( sorry I’m not technical enough to provide a link, it’s behind a paywall anyway).

Included in his 5 best pub places is the Isle of Man ( Sheffield comes first). He singles out Quids Inn saying that after paying your pound (is it still that?) you soon recoup your money. I don’t think I would list that establishment as an example of what’s best, but he does say the Island is very beautiful. He does do a blog about his beer travels so that’s probably worth a read. ( retiredmartin).

Sorry for putting this in the Sunday Lunch thread. My mistake.

To atone for this can I say that Peel Golf Club do a lovely Sunday lunch.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Just an update on the Cat. Went last week. It was poor. The service was good and friendly but the roast meat was terrible. Looked like it was boiled. Both the lamb and the beef. Tough as old boots. The gravy was an thin a witches piss too. Awful. 

After a resurgence last year the brewery pubs seems to have started to go the wrong way again. Went to the Whitestone. Really scruffy and in need of some TLC. Carpets held together with duct tape. 

Food was so so as well. Apart from the liver and bacon which was not too bad. 

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Laxey Shore recently for Sunday Lunch. The restaurant but not the pub bit.

It was OK, not cheap.

Thing is it’s a quite upmarket place and I know I’m going to get slaughtered for this but the clientele came in with t shirts, ripped jeans etc.

In my youth I would have applauded that, even worn the same myself to demonstrate that we are all the same underneath the clothes. But you change as it you get older, not always for the better in instances like this

Believing it to be a bit upmarket myself and my wife dressed up a little bit. Jacket and trousers for myself, my wife a summer dress. Nothing too formal but enough to recognise the occasion.

I ( we) would have felt more comfortable in the lounge bar of the pub, serving a near identical menu but without any stuffiness. 

May we’ll go back to Sunday lunch in the bar but give the restaurant a swerve

It’s odd but I don’t hate what I have become even swearing in my twenties it wouldn’t happen,. I still think I’m a nice person

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Went to the Laxey Shore recently for Sunday Lunch. The restaurant but not the pub bit.

It was OK, not cheap.

Thing is it’s a quite upmarket place and I know I’m going to get slaughtered for this but the clientele came in with t shirts, ripped jeans etc.

In my youth I would have applauded that, even worn the same myself to demonstrate that we are all the same underneath the clothes. But you change as it you get older, not always for the better in instances like this

Believing it to be a bit upmarket myself and my wife dressed up a little bit. Jacket and trousers for myself, my wife a summer dress. Nothing too formal but enough to recognise the occasion.

I ( we) would have felt more comfortable in the lounge bar of the pub, serving a near identical menu but without any stuffiness. 

May we’ll go back to Sunday lunch in the bar but give the restaurant a swerve

It’s odd but I don’t hate what I have become even swearing in my twenties it wouldn’t happen,. I still think I’m a nice person

Just let people be themselves. You got dressed up and felt good. They didn’t but they’re still allowed to feel good. Remember too that’s it’s MGP and the dress code is always a bit more casual. You just carry on being you. I’m sure your wife’s summer dress brought a smile to others. In a good way. :)

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Just let people be themselves. You got dressed up and felt good. They didn’t but they’re still allowed to feel good. Remember too that’s it’s MGP and the dress code is always a bit more casual. You just carry on being you. I’m sure your wife’s summer dress brought a smile to others. In a good way. :)

OK, I know you’re right. I’m being silly. Like I say you change as you get older, not always for the better.