Steam Packet Viking Crashes In Liverpool

TrueBlue

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now we hear that Ben is only just about to leave Heysham, so her sailings arer knackered too - had to wait for people to drive/get bussed up from Liverpool.

So she won't be in at 5.30, or anywhere close.

go on just imagine your car is a 200 million tonne boat

Every day I wake up and imagine I own a 200 million tonne boat.

One day, maybe one day.

I'm building one at the moment dude. Just as a hobby.

Do you want a go when it's finished? You can even wear a captain's hat etc blah.

Anyway, must have been one monstrous gust of wind to suddenly do that. I'm not sure but I'd assume they have a bow thruster or two on the seacat so for it to be powerful enough to blow them suddenly towards the dock without anyone managing to fire on a thruster must have been an impressive blast of air.

I can't get over the reports, MR saying it hit the 'harbour wall' then the 'pier head', Liverpool Echo said it was a catamaran, I wonder what's the next misinformation we're going to be fed !

From the BBC....

"The collision damaged the port side of the ship and it has been grounded while repairs are carried out. "

GROUNDED!!!!! are they repairing it on the beach??

Trev..

The Steam Packet website is a mine of information regarding this little mishap. If you believe that you'll believe anything. I'm beginning to think there's a Jonah within the Company. They should use that old wrecked rustbucket of a trawler moored at South Quay and crew it with Tourette's sufferers. They might have better luck then. All that wreck does is attract bird shit.

they are being very cautious with tug assistance at Liverpool last night and this morning

Looking at the damage pictures on the liverpoolecho site I get the feeling that the fancy yellow buffers didn't do all they should have and it hit the concrete protrusion, maybe you can't beat a bunch of old tyres as fenders :)

they are being very cautious with tug assistance at Liverpool last night and this morning

Looking at the damage pictures on the liverpoolecho site I get the feeling that the fancy yellow buffers didn't do all they should have and it hit the concrete protrusion, maybe you can't beat a bunch of old tyres as fenders :)

I wonder if it is the Steam Packet or the Dock Board, if the Dock Board i can see the day when the Mersey Ferries will have to have a tug to help them to berth.

Looks like they definitely have doubts about the SteamPacket Skippers skills to me!!

Should an Occupational Health and Safety bulletin be issued? Weeds, seagulls, swimming in rivers, IOMSPC skippers...

The Steam Packet website is a mine of information regarding this little mishap. If you believe that you'll believe anything. I'm beginning to think there's a Jonah within the Company.

At this rate they'll soon be entitled to their very own page on the Marine Accident Investigation Branch website. Perhaps they should consider calling their new craft 'Oooooops!' or 'iceberg ahead!', or something in Manx like 'sinkeil'.

Archived