Airport Emergency?

spanna

so thought they could smell smoke. why handbrake skid the airplane in the middle of the runway?

if you get it down and theres no smoke filling the cabin why not just taxi off the runway and up a taxiway?

It'll probably turn out to be down to a health worker passenger, who smelled fag smoke on a fellow passenger and simply panicked thinking she was about to die from something horribly passive.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anyone know whats happening at the airport or on that road?

Police have got the road blocked off at shore road in castletown and there was an ambulance bombing down that way just now.

:o I must say I'm really surprised you didn't know. Your normally the first to have stories about the airport! :D

The aviation industry hasn't forgotten the accident which happened at Manchester 20 odd years ago where a BA 737 had a fire in the engine and because the crew 'turned up a taxiway' and didn't evacuate immediately dozens of people lost their lives. There was the total loss of a Swiss MD11 that crashed into the sea off the eastern US seaboard because the crew didn't divert immediately after they smelled smoke. Fire and smoke onboard an aircraft is something you don't mess around with.

Whenever emergency slides are used, people get hurt - remember that BA 777 that 'landed' at Heathrow earlier this year - the only injury was a passenger with a broken leg caused during the evacuation. The handbrake is not used to stop the aeroplane, there is no anti skid system built into that, application of full normal brakes and full reverse thrust stops the aircraft in the shortest time.

The full facts will no doubt emerge, but from what I've heard it was a professionally handled incident.

bob - the 737 was taking off not landing.. a program on it said everyone would have got out in time if the pilot turned the a/c to let the wind keep the flames away from the fuselage.

as for the "handbrake" comment that was a joke. As the a/c looks like its been handbraked to a halt .. since it was sitting 90 deg to the runway

Was just wondering why the pilot did that? is it a procedure or did he just sh1t his pants.

Edit: Just been told by an airline pilot its procedure to turn a certain direction depending on the wind direction in case of fire. That explains that then.

As for slides.. those things are lethal. its like a diagonal trampoline.

jump my a$$. ill slide onto it thanks very much.

anyone know whats happening at the airport or on that road?

Police have got the road blocked off at shore road in castletown and there was an ambulance bombing down that way just now.

:o I must say I'm really surprised you didn't know. Your normally the first to have stories about the airport! :D

Wasnt at work today ;)

I know these pics from somewhere :)

20-12.jpg

21-6.jpg

22-4.jpg

From memory card to newsdesk to website within minutes - good thing, this internets. Both newspapers had them up within literally minutes from hitting the send button - old newsbot got them first but took longest - maybe because there's no commercial pressure to compete with anyone?

Thats a relief!

I'd thought the roadblocks and Polce were because a plane full of Liverpool supporters was hi-jacked and forced to land. The hostages takers were going to release a scouser every hour until the ransome was paid

Spanna, the Manchester incident is worthy of mention (and of course I know it was during the take of roll) because the evacuation was delayed as the crew initially thought it was a simply burst tyre - they took their time taxiing off the runway and did not order an evacuation straight away. Had they realised they were dealing with a fire straight off, then things would have turned out a lot better than they did. The Swissair was a different scenario but had a fatal delay involved. Even though they knew they had a bad fire, the diversion was delayed because the crew became overly concerned with dumping fuel. Had they accepted an overweight landing (so what in the circumstances) and diverted straight away, then things may well have been different there too. The point I'm making is that with fire and smoke, you remove the passengers from the aircraft as soon as possible - any delay may well have a high human cost.

The crew this morning made an immediate diversion and immediate evacuation on landing. Training for such incidents has been built upon from experiences like the two I mention above.

From the photos, it looks like the aircraft was brought to a halt in exactly the same direction as it landed in.

I've been down an evacuation slide on an ATP during training - got covered in talc and went flat on my nose at the bottom much to the amusement of the rest of the group.

Not nice but rather that than the alternative.

Archived