Listed Building To Be Demolished

Lee54

Government have granted permission to the owners of the old RILEY,s building on North Quay to demolish the 200 year old building on safety grounds.

On a different note the Dandara site on the quay had severe flooding last night on the high tide, Cheap apartment anybody :lol:

I always thought it was an offence to let a building become unsightly, if so why do the Corporation not take action. The old Douglas Pub is in a hell of a state, major cracks, plaster falling off and all the windows are rotten. Is it the power of H&Bs that stop action being taken

Government have granted permission to the owners of the old RILEY,s building on North Quay to demolish the 200 year old building on safety grounds.

On a different note the Dandara site on the quay had severe flooding last night on the high tide, Cheap apartment anybody :lol:

The apartments start at £700,000 so you might expect a swimming pool thrown in

Plus there is always the chance of getting a few salmon at this time of year

Take a last look then...

ril.jpg

Didn't even have to get up to take that one :)

Since they moved out of it it's just been empty and rotting away - maybe someone really should get off their chair and check if it has been neglected? What's all this listed building stuff for otherwise?

The apartments start at £700,000 so you might expect a swimming pool thrown in

Plus there is always the chance of getting a few salmon at this time of year

Do you think the name "Lake Road" passed them over?. Its a tidal flood plain. all the way up to Port e Chee. If the level aint raised---ohh--ohh!

According to the Courier it is in a conservation area but is not itself a listed building.

Hopefully they will put something with a bit of imagination in the design in it's place but I dare say it will turn out to be a piss poor attempt to copy the look of what is already there

Can we start a book on how soon they close the road for the demolition and how long it will stay closed for?

Can't wait for the congestion resulting from the road closure, at least Tesco roundabout will get a rest.

According to the Courier it is in a conservation area but is not itself a listed building.

Hopefully they will put something with a bit of imagination in the design in it's place but I dare say it will turn out to be a piss poor attempt to copy the look of what is already there

It might be a good lesson for developers who let building gradually decay in conservation areas to be forced to restore them exactly as they were before. This could deter them from following a course of deliberate inaction to get their way for some higher profit making scheme.

It is not impossible, or rocket science. There are many examples throughout Europe where valued buildings were destroyed in WWII and then rebuilt to meticulously look like they had done before they were destroyed. A great example of this is the World Heritage listed Old and New Towns of Warsaw. Old photographs and even Canaletto paintings of 18th century Warsaw were used to reconstruct the historic quarter.

wo1starowka.jpg

Warsaw_oldtown_wide.jpg

You assume that something else will be put up?

I thought that at the time it was sold it was reasonably common knowledge that they wanted to 'improve' the junction and widen it to feed traffic into Douglas off the Quay.

Funny this is now happening at the same time Tescos roundabout is being changed .... spooky

Lake road was gained by theft in 1820 by the then owner of the Nunnery - see http://www.manxnotebook.com/maritime/harbors/douglas.htm

There is much theft of land going on today.

One man's theft is an another man's twisting of The Law by "adverse possession". Maybe.

Greed, greed, greed, and the gain of land by devious means, especially when The Judiciary are at it too, knows no bounds.

Having met the owners of the Riley,s building and seeing the problems first hand I would confirm that he was left with no alternative but to have it demolished. The main fabric of the building has no strength left in it, the back bone of the building has moved away from the adjoining property, the foundations have been corroded by 200 years of water ingress.

Various options were looked at by the engineers in a hope that the building could be saved, but due to the unique design of the building it was found to be impossible to put right an an economical cost. Demolishing this building and rebuilding will save the adjoining building which it themselves have a Historical value greater than Riley,s.

Further along the Quay I took a good look at the Douglas Hotel, another listed building, listed because of the internal staircase. This building is a danger to the public as I see it. At the rear through the lane by the Legion club can be seen evidence of serious movement, to the front it is evident that plaster has recently fallen from the top floor, some of the windows are in danger of falling out. Due to the structural faults the male toilets can not be used. The Hotel is at present being used as a Pool club by members of the public. I wonder in any insurance is in place to cover this building as in my opinion no insurance company would take the risk.

Somethng similar to that church in Sulby? Rent in an opinion provider, tell him the opinion you want and hey presto a dangerous building---eaasy peasy, so slick its missed by our "planners" once more.

So little of the working quay left, we will miss it greatly when its all gone.

Archived