Gas & Electricity - It Doesn't Add Up.

Fossils

<_<
It powers itself and exports 5MW to el Grid.

orly?

Thanks for posting this.

Al Droid could you elaborate a little for an uninitiated person? I mistrust graphs that don't show a target but if I am reading this correctly the plant has only contributed into the grid on a few days and is operating significantly below its stated power delivery level? Is that correct?

Does anyone know what price the MEA has to pay for the electricity it receives from the incinerator? Suez state that their process is cost effective and as their raw material for power generation is donated by us all and delivered at our cost one hopes that the cost to MEA is significantly less than oil generated electricity?

(My cynical side expects to hear mention of the need to recover the costs of major capital expenditure..)

Al Droid could you elaborate a little for an uninitiated person? I mistrust graphs that don't show a target but if I am reading this correctly the plant has only contributed into the grid on a few days and is operating significantly below its stated power delivery level? Is that correct?

A bust turbine I think, I seem to remember it's been set back to the manufacturer or something. Looks like it might be back now, which is good news, but it's not been generating power for quite some time.

Does anyone know what price the MEA has to pay for the electricity it receives from the incinerator? Suez state that their process is cost effective and as their raw material for power generation is donated by us all and delivered at our cost one hopes that the cost to MEA is significantly less than oil generated electricity?

I doubt it's particularly cheap to run. I think the likes of Tels are paid for combustable waste for the EfW plant, and I also heard that waste was imported from the UK to burn on it too, I'm not sure if that's true though.

You'd think that instead of giving farmers subsidies, they'd be encouraged to grow biofuel if there's a shortage to keep the plant running.

Energy from waste plant titbits from a pub chat I had with a SITA worker.

They are all amused at some comments they see and hear because he said there have been hundreds of people through the visitor center and plant itself

They have never imported any waste. The average weighbridge amounts per day are between 200 and 240 tons.

With that amount of crap they run at about 85% capacity

Everybody weighs in and pays to tip and they get charged by the ton.

The main machine doesn’t use any oil.

The smaller one burns animal waste and because it is wet and sloppy, burners are needed to keep it alight. It wasn’t designed for that type of waste, when Litss partially shut down this slop started to arrive. There is a new Litss plant being built to reduce the type of waste.

The turbine has needed two overhauls by the manufacturer. The manufacturer and the construction company are still arguing who bollixed up apparently. His comment that a machine built by Germans and a plant bodged together by Teesiders was never going to be a proper job was an amusing aside.

Archived