H & S V Seagulls

Bananaman

From here

http://tinyurl.com/5drl7h

Seagulls continue to terrorise Peel walkers

SEAGULLS terrorising walkers on Peel promenade could be scattered by birds of prey.

But residents should not expect to see hawks or falcons flying around the town.

Peel Commissioners are considering buying machines that emit noises mimicking the sound of predatory birds, in a bid to make the streets safer for pedestrians.

David Lace, who previously issued a warning about hungry seagulls snatching food out of people's hands, said the situation was getting worse.

He told the board: 'They are getting very aggressive. We cannot wait until someone has their eye taken out.'

Jackie O'Halloran agreed, saying she had heard of seagulls recently attacking pets as well as humans. She added: 'They are not nice, cute, cuddly birds at all.'

Anyone know anybody who's eyes have been removed by a seagull?

or

Arms broken by Swans?

Neigbors child with forehead cut and wrist sprained in resultant fall :(

If we go to the cliffs and invade the gulls teritory they are entitled to object.

When they invade our teritory and attack us then we are entitled to object.

When you have to live with the constant gull noise from dawn to dusk--they are like car alarms then the young keening for food all day well then you may understand our objections.

FFS i lived on King edward road----no effing problem with gulls

Somerset road though! desperate!

Bird of prey noises? What's wrong with a shotgun?

We should cull a few of them anyway. It's down to us and our waste that they're such successful creatures now.

Edit: I'm surprised we haven't been told there's no such things as SEAGULLS yet. Ah well there's plenty of time.

Edit: I'm surprised we haven't been told there's no such things as SEAGULLS yet. Ah well there's plenty of time.

Well we could just refer to them a shitehawks, but I suppose saying that Peel is full on shitehawks might be misleading as it would be a bit unclear whether you'd be talking about the birds or just the general population ;)

If we go to the cliffs and invade the gulls teritory they are entitled to object.

When they invade our teritory and attack us then we are entitled to object.

I'm sorry but that's just silly. It's not 'our territory' and at any rate, animals don't make distinctions between our stamping ground and theirs.

I do not believe for one second that people are being 'attacked' by gulls; the birds are simply trying to get at the food people are either carrying or eating. This is what they do. They have evolved to survive.

Nor do I think they are getting more 'aggressive.' This, again, is people projecting human behaviour onto animals. Gulls are scavengers and with more people eating more crap and chucking more crap away, they're going to do more scavenging. As with so many of these so-called menaces, it's people who are at the heart of the matter.

I've lived by the sea on the IOM my entire life and not once been attacked/molested/roughed up/mutilated by a herring gull.

Personally, I find people who park on double yellows in Peel just so they can sit cocooned in their cars on their fat arses eating their ice cream much more of a hazard and a nuisance.

Nor do I think they are getting more 'aggressive.'

Not agressive as such, but certainly more bold. They are less afraid of humans than they used to be and the result of this is they are prepared to take food from humans rather than just hoover up what's left behind. We've only got ourselves to blame. Discarding food on the floor "because the birds will eat it" encourages them to see us as a source of food rather than a big scary mammal. And don't get me started on the muppets who actually go out of their way to feed the gulls.

Nor do I think they are getting more 'aggressive.'

Not agressive as such, but certainly more bold. They are less afraid of humans than they used to be and the result of this is they are prepared to take food from humans rather than just hoover up what's left behind. We've only got ourselves to blame. Discarding food on the floor "because the birds will eat it" encourages them to see us as a source of food rather than a big scary mammal. And don't get me started on the muppets who actually go out of their way to feed the gulls.

What an opportunity for isle of Man Film - offer Peel for a remake of 'The Birds' - turn the herring gulls into a profit centre and we'd learn to love them.

Maybe us holidaymakers need to be educated in how not to feed the gulls. I recall as a child feeding the gulls, now that i am so much older i have learnt that it better to let the birds forage for their own food.

We have a similar problem on the Wirral but it is with pigeons. Some folks just cannot resist throwing bread out for them. Why don't they make a bread and butter pudding instead and reduce waste.

They were never really afraid of humans, and anyway humans historically encouraged them to take food from the hand - I remember one of the pastimes on board the old ferries was to hold a piece of bread out for a passing gull to snatch in mid flight. They used to take chunks out of your finger if they misjudged, or the piece of bread was too small. Geese and swans are even greedier, and take bigger chunks of finger if you try to hand feed them. :P

You can't chuck stuff overboard any more, so gulls don't follow ships - they have had to turn to nicking sandwiches and fish n chips shoreside. If they think they can get away with it they will, and it's so funny watching someone take one sandwich out of a pack to eat, and put the remainder of the pack down next to them, and then shreek when the pack suddenly gets nicked!! :D

It's a bit like that with cats at home - if you put your knife and fork down, they think you've finished eating and it's their turn, specially if you've moved a bit of meat to the side of the plate. :rolleyes:

Personally, I find people who park on double yellows in Peel just so they can sit cocooned in their cars on their fat arses eating their ice cream much more of a hazard and a nuisance.

Sitting in their cars to eat is about the safest way of getting the ice cream down their necks before a gull swoops and steals it. Are you saying that the problem doesn't exist?

Jesus, you people need to get a life. Is this all you have to talk about?

This has been happening for decades - it's the people that have become soft and not the gulls becoming more aggressive.

You're like spoiled children.

Archived