Miss Potter

manxbird

Not seen it - but could be the interiors were shot in the studio at Ramsey? I think the co-funding deal requires 50% to be shot here, so it should be a big chunk, although I presume none of it needs to be exterior to qualify.

Not seen it - but could be the interiors were shot in the studio at Ramsey? I think the co-funding deal requires 50% to be shot here, so it should be a big chunk, although I presume none of it needs to be exterior to qualify.

I think it was 50% of the spend had to be in the IoM. That however was very easy to achieve as if they needed to hire in from the UK there could be an IoM subsidiary Company or similar. UK Co hired to IoM Co which hired to Film Co and magically Film Cos money was spent in IoM.

Ultimately a lot of the profitability to the Manx Govt related to VAT and similar smoke and mirrors so that IOM received the output but inputs were reclaimed in the UK

A trifle bit more complex that a shed and technically in St Johns, not quite in Foxdale, actually.

It was filmed in the Metal Barn in Upper Foxdale (directly across the valley from the petrol station) and in the units across the road from Kirby Garden Centre. All external shots were filmed in the Lake District.

I think it was 50% of the spend had to be in the IoM. That however was very easy to achieve as if they needed to hire in from the UK there could be an IoM subsidiary Company or similar. UK Co hired to IoM Co which hired to Film Co and magically Film Cos money was spent in IoM.

Ultimately a lot of the profitability to the Manx Govt related to VAT and similar smoke and mirrors so that IOM received the output but inputs were reclaimed in the UK

Is it really that easy to get around the 50% with subsidiaries in this way? If so I'd have thought a lot more film cos would be doing this.

Does the IoM ever make anything from the equity stake it takes in these films? I doubt it if its based on net profits, but you never know. My guess is that it would only be attractive and viable for IoM if the 50% spend were actually spent in IoM and not allowing subsidiaries. The main advantage is in the gearing and knock on benefits to the economy (generally about 3 times the amount spent locally) - the VAT alone wouldn't cover very much.

Archived