[BBC News] Arsonists target grammar school

Newsbot

Arson is such a serious word - the kids who were playing with matches and decided to try & burn down their school probably saw it as a bit of hi-jinks. Good that there wasn't any damage caused love PC Flint though "Potentially the whole Island could have turned into a blazing inferno & everyone could have died!"....ah but it didnt did it?

Arson is such a serious word - the kids who were playing with matches and decided to try & burn down their school probably saw it as a bit of hi-jinks.

Well, that's alright then. Perhaps if you ask nicely they'll change it to "Cheeky fire based bescampery".

Good that there wasn't any damage caused love PC Flint though "Potentially the whole Island could have turned into a blazing inferno & everyone could have died!"....ah but it didnt did it?

PC Flint's actual statement: We could have potentially been without half a school, which would have been a logistical nightmare for the new term in September. Seems fairly reasonable, he's just highlighting how these stupid actions could have been more serious - "all's well that end's well" isn't much of a defence when it comes to trying to set fire to a school, even if the attempt was beadlefingered. What exactly is it that you find so objectionable about all this?

I have experience of a couple of kids setting fire to some toilet paper; which set light to the bin; which set light to the toilet it was in; which set light to the building it was set next to; which caught light to the oil stored within said building; which set light to the vehicles in there; which set off the petrol and diesel; which took out the next building.

Result, 45 people unemployed, business went bust and it took 3 hours to get the blaze under control.

Little scamps.

Arson is such a serious word - the kids who were playing with matches and decided to try & burn down their school probably saw it as a bit of hi-jinks.

Yes. Just like the hi-jinxing kids who played with matches and killed 30 people in Sumerland. What a totally moronic statement to make.

A youth is questioned by police investigating an arson attack at an Isle of Man school.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7544224.stm

As much as it makes my blood boil when people do arson, especially on a school, I've got to give credit to the young un for handing himself in to the Police and hope the Police and his parents use this opportunity to assist him. I don't mean that he's subjected to a continuous barrage of making him feel guilty all the time etc, etc, but by making him see sense and how it affects others etc, I'm hoping that the lad will prove himself and put the past behind him.

(Bit garbled, but it's been a long day)

I still remember watching the fire from Douglas Head. What a terrible memory. But the BBC is right to remind us. Those who fail to remember the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them...

I was in there on the day it went up. Luckily I'd left before the fire but my family didn't know that and the whole thing was on the news before they saw me. Arson is not funny, whether any malice is intended or whether its "just a bit of fun" the consequences are horendous, it endangers life including that of the fire service on attending.

Anyone who is found guilty of arson should IMO go away for the longest available stretch.

As much as it makes my blood boil when people do arson, especially on a school, I've got to give credit to the young un for handing himself in to the Police and hope the Police and his parents use this opportunity to assist him.

Agree on giving him credit for that. I hope this was a prank or act that simply went wrong, rather than arson in the sociopathic sense. Serious all the same, but you can only help people that want that help themselves.

for a one off - no chance. If he understood what he was doing then he should be put away. Its too easy for a guilty plea to result in reduced sentence, what if in this case the young un realised he was about to get caught, or what if he's done it before. If he lit it he should pay for it.

Archived