Only In Douglas

Grianane

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lets face it. The way the Steam Packet have been recently the Tower of Refuge may come in handy sooner rather than later

Now they have put in a slip, I wonder what odds I would get at the bookies on an IOMSPC vessel mistaking it for the berth and running INTO the tower?

what a pity the Dept wasn't so enthusiastic about all its famous landmarks!!

Where, other than Ramsey, is the Iron Pier famous?

So no-one outside ramsey heard of the Pier?

No-one outside Laxey heard of the wheel?

etc

I was asking the question, why did you reply with one? I don't think it's famous certainly, I've no idea what it is other than a rusty pile of crap. Whats the significance?

The largest working water wheel in europe? Pretty significant engineering feat. The Laxy Wheel genuinely is famous.

I was asking the question, why did you reply with one? I don't think it's famous certainly, I've no idea what it is other than a rusty pile of crap. Whats the significance?

The largest working water wheel in europe? Pretty significant engineering feat. The Laxy Wheel genuinely is famous.

Ah right - that takes us back to the world wide famous Tower of Refuge, as iconic as The Eifel Tower, Statue of Liberty..........

yawn

Ah right - that takes us back to the world wide famous Tower of Refuge, as iconic as The Eifel Tower, Statue of Liberty..........yawn

Or the Ramsey Pier, which is less famous than Adrian Earnshaw's moustache. The Tower was built by Sir William Hillary, who created the RNLI.

Cost of renovating Tower of Refuge: £40 000

Cost of renovating Ramsey Pier: £5-7 million

Ah right - that takes us back to the world wide famous Tower of Refuge, as iconic as The Eifel Tower, Statue of Liberty..........yawn

Or the Ramsey Pier, which is less famous than Adrian Earnshaw's moustache. The Tower was built by Sir William Hillary, who created the RNLI.

Cost of renovating Tower of Refuge: £40 000

Cost of renovating Ramsey Pier: £5-7 million

Granted - however Adrian earnshaws moustache (which looks uncannily like Ned Flanders') has probably had more spent on it on maintenance over the recent years :lol:

Now they have put in a slip, I wonder what odds I would get at the bookies on an IOMSPC vessel mistaking it for the berth and running INTO the tower?

Don't give me any ideas :)

Ah right - that takes us back to the world wide famous Tower of Refuge, as iconic as The Eifel Tower, Statue of Liberty..........

yawn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary's...ower_of_Refuge)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laxey_Wheel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Searc...ens+Pier+Ramsey

It's just not famous. Nobody gives a fuck. Let it go?

you need to learn to read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsey%2C_Isle_of_Man

extract :-

A distinctive landmark of the town is the controversial Queen's Pier, closed for many years and the constant subject of re-opening appeals. It was served by its own tramway. Queen Victoria landed here in 1847, when heavy seas made it impossible to enter Douglas harbour.

The pier is now closed to the public for safety reasons, but in 2007 the Council of Ministers Working Group, considering the future of Queen’s Pier in Ramsey, issued a questionnaire to the public as the first stage of its consultation on the issue of the future of the pier.

The questionnaire was mailed to 3,200 randomly selected addresses – 1,800 in Ramsey and 1,400 in the rest of the Island. It sought respondents’ views on a range of possible options, from doing nothing to restoration funded by commercial development. Analysis of the results is ongoing.

Archived