Only In Douglas

Grianane

you need to learn to read

I can read just fine, it's not got it's own wikipedia page, just how 'famous' does that make it. What exactly is it famous for? Only thing I can think of is it being a famous local sob story for Ramsey wingers to bleat about how neglected they are. I maintain, nobody outside Ramsey gives a fuck. Let it die.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can read just fine, it's not got it's own wikipedia page, just how 'famous' does that make it. What exactly is it famous for? Only thing I can think of is it being a famous local sob story for Ramsey wingers to bleat about how neglected they are. I maintain, nobody outside Ramsey gives a fuck. Let it die.

Easy sailor, you may blow a circuit!!

A couple of years ago it was put that it would cost virtually the same price to pull it down as it would to repair - so if the cost is to be spent then why not on a refurb - I am sure that when they do make their mind up the next appraisal will make it beyond ecenomic repair, so any money earmarked can be spent elswhere, or if we put a swear box along side your posts would probably be able to repair, and extend it out a few miles :lol:

A couple of years ago it was put that it would cost virtually the same price to pull it down as it would to repair - so if the cost is to be spent then why not on a refurb - I am sure that when they do make their mind up the next appraisal will make it beyond ecenomic repair, so any money earmarked can be spent elswhere, or if we put a swear box along side your posts would probably be able to repair, and extend it out a few miles :lol:

Because demolision is a one off cost, and a refurb would have an ongoing maintenance/running cost. It's not like it'll ever make any money, which is presumably why it fell into disrepair in the first place.

I don't for a second believe that either way, surely the scrap value will offset a good portion of the demolition cost?

Now they have put in a slip, I wonder what odds I would get at the bookies on an IOMSPC vessel mistaking it for the berth and running INTO the tower?

If Dandara are doing the refurbishment, expect it to be converted in to half a dozen flats.

I don't for a second believe that either way, surely the scrap value will offset a good portion of the demolition cost?

I think it was on the questionnaire that was sent out that the upper-bound for demo'ing it was the same as the lower-bound for a refurb (£5 mil or so). Didn't mention anything about scrap, but I think that's were the idea came from.

And what makes you think anyone gives a fuck about your opinions?

Ah right - that takes us back to the world wide famous Tower of Refuge, as iconic as The Eifel Tower, Statue of Liberty..........yawn

Or the Ramsey Pier, which is less famous than Adrian Earnshaw's moustache. The Tower was built by Sir William Hillary, who created the RNLI.

Cost of renovating Tower of Refuge: £40 000

Cost of renovating Ramsey Pier: £5-7 million

cost of the coastguard to keep rescuing wankers from the tower cos the access is better??

cost of the coastguard to keep rescuing wankers from the tower cos the access is better??

So we should knock it down to safe the coastguard some hassle and money? You can't cure stupidity. Should we ban people from partaking in watersports in case the RNLI has to rescue them? No sick people please; we don't want to pay for ambulances.

I heard it was going to be a Pizza hut.

Don't be daft - Tesco are moving there.

Doesn't anyone else thing the price for restoration of the Tower is exceedingly, suspiciously even, cheap?

They're repointing it and building a concrete dock - approx 2 man years. Doesn't strike me as that low.

Archived