Only In Douglas

Grianane

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd heard it was going to be the new cruise ship terminal, with a deep water berth to take the monster ships, and a covered bridge/walkway above tide level to the old steps by the Bottle Neck car park.

The Tower of Refuge will be the Security hut.

Doesn't anyone else thing the price for restoration of the Tower is exceedingly, suspiciously even, cheap?

I thought that! For a DOT project it, I was definitely expecting them to say something like £120k.

In comparison to the huge figures for projects lately, isn't it mad when you hear £40k cost and you think "blimey, that's not bad!"

They're repointing it and building a concrete dock - approx 2 man years. Doesn't strike me as that low.

2 man years (contracted) + plant hire + concrete for £40k is pretty cheap to be fair

They are using original materials apparently (basic mix). Lasts much longer than modern ones obviously.

Well, we have been watching developments on the rock from work for the past year and I would say that £40,000 is very low, even just for the work itself ignoring the premium for getting all this done on a rock which is accessible dependant on the tides.

Archived