Braid

Slim

I like it and all that, but I'm not quite sold on it being something so innovative to draw this sort of praise. The time rewind and the clever way it doesn't affect everything is neat but aside from that, what's actually new in this that we didn't have in Rick Dangerous and the old isometric 3D platformers like Alien8 and Head over Heels?

I like it and all that, but I'm not quite sold on it being something so innovative to draw this sort of praise. The time rewind and the clever way it doesn't affect everything is neat but aside from that, what's actually new in this that we didn't have in Rick Dangerous and the old isometric 3D platformers like Alien8 and Head over Heels?

It reminds me a little of Portal, where you're forced to approach the puzzles in a way that's not typical of console platformers. It's not simply about timing jumps, it's about absolute exact timing of a planned sequence of events which you refine and re-do over and over but without restarting. It's also extremely well designed, the puzzles are quite hard but doable and very satisfying to complete.

I think you prolly need to get a bit further too, the puzzles aren't just about the time rewind. Did you get to the donkey kong level for example?

Head over Heels is a good comparrison in terms of quality, that felt quite innovative because of the unusual approach to puzzling, and a comparrision to that is pretty complimentary. Not sure how it's similar though other than it's a game that's got puzzles.

I'm also a sucker for a nice bit of game art and music, and love what they've done there. I even like the emo bits in between rooms :)

It reminds me a little of Portal, where you're forced to approach the puzzles in a way that's not typical of console platformers. It's not simply about timing jumps, it's about absolute exact timing of a planned sequence of events which you refine and re-do over and over but without restarting. It's also extremely well designed, the puzzles are quite hard but doable and very satisfying to complete.

I think you prolly need to get a bit further too, the puzzles aren't just about the time rewind. Did you get to the donkey kong level for example?

Not got that far no, I only dabbled for about an hour last night. Portal is a good comparison but the fact that it reminds you of this (and HoH) means then it is like something else you've played. You need to go back and play Rick Dangerous too, that was a lot more like it than you remember. Also, Soloman's Key!

When it comes down to it, it's an adult version of Professor Fizzwizzle.

I'm not knocking it. It's a great little game and I'm looking forward to getting deeper into it tonight. I'm just not sure it deserves the innovative tag.

I'm not knocking it. It's a great little game and I'm looking forward to getting deeper into it tonight. I'm just not sure it deserves the innovative tag.

There's not much new under the sun, no, and braid does borrow from other games, particularly Mario. There's a lot of simularities in the rewind style to Prince of Persia Sands of Time too. But it does this very stylishly with some genuinely fresh and well constructed puzzle ideas and some great art, music and dialog, so I'm chuffed with it. Now, if only I could get that last jigsaw piece in world 3..

• 2 weeks later...

Started playing this yesterday and have to say I find it a great little game to get lost in. So far I've got to world 4 before I've started to pull my hair out. That damn key just keeps on moving......

Oh, and I'm going to blame you lot for my lack of sleep and grumpiness for the next few days... :rolleyes:

Started playing this yesterday and have to say I find it a great little game to get lost in. So far I've got to world 4 before I've started to pull my hair out. That damn key just keeps on moving......

Oh, and I'm going to blame you lot for my lack of sleep and grumpiness for the next few days... :rolleyes:

Finished it myself, and loved it. Great game.

Archived