Nu-rave, Breakz, Dnb, Old Skool, Garage............

wooker

Fish

I slagged the venue off for the simple reason that as a result of their policies (that were lyed about too) I had the worst New Years eve of my life. Well, an a few other reasons which will follow.

You said that your friend Miss Whitehead was playing which was fair enough. She had prime slot, got a little extra time than was agreed and she brought us up to and a little past 12. Then Ronan jumped on for a bit. Fair enough. I was going to get the final slot around 1:15 to finish the night off till 2. Then Degsy Senior turns up sticking his 20p's worth n gets on somehow because I'm feeling generous, its NYE after all.

Hmmm?

He starts playing banging & uplifting trance after I specifically told him no hard stuff. It was the 'chill out' room and what a chill out room it was. It was so chilled a snowman could have been built and left there to stand the whole night! It wouldn't have melted and nobody probably would have known he was there?

As you can tell, I'm totally overjoyed at having to recall this night of pain and regret.

Our room (which was totally unpopular in comparison all night) closed at 1:20am. Not as agreed between yourself and management and between yourself and I. I played to 5 people all night. I got the graveyard shift at the spectacular time of 8:00pm. Of course, when everyone is there and the place is absolutely rocking!

Rocking my ass!!!

So, I do have an issue and if you're insulted by that, its your problem mate. The venue and management fucked us about and in my eyes, thats out of order. That is my main issue. Degsy Snr and me not having the chance to play to more than 5 people, well, that jus really pissed me off. It was without doubt the worst NYE I've had to date.

Thanks for the opportunity. Its appreciated for what it was worth which was absolutely sod all! Nobody commented on anything about the back room from what I gather? Hearing nothing about it means it was a failure and probably a waste of time doing. No, in fact, it was a complete waste of time. The front room had the action and I got suckered into doing something that I doubted in the first place. Esp when you asked me to play some downtempo stuff. Cool I thought. Gets me outa the house to spin instead of my beloved bedroom. Mug.

If any of you out there would like some advice, keep it to one room. That is unless you have a guaranteed number of guests coming. Say if you had 100+ then I would suggest a back room, otherwise, any less than that, and the poor boys in the back room will look at you desperately as you enter the room and you notice that you're the only one in it! (I'm not bitter honest and this is almost a true reflection of the night for me personally. There were some girls sat down on some couches when I was playing. It was the best crowd I ever had. Honest. So responsive and attentive to my every move. I was flattered when they walked out. Must have been far too good to hang about for. I was spoiling them. I understand girls. You are forgiven.)

So all in all, a pile of wank for me Dr Fish.

Oh and for the record, how many times have I asked YOU to support ME on my show? I had Stacey, Conesplitter (Steve), Slim, Stevie Butt, Adam Cain, Mo Beats and my misses. You always had an excuse so thanks for supporting ME. I found your constant declining an insult.

This is starting to get bitter...

You started it!

Jesus. That made my eyes bleed.

I still think you're gonna need a bigger boat, though...

...GOMH*...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was more like FOF and Life.... but for survival in those days you had to try and make yourself look cool but try not to piss someone else off, it often looked bitchy from both sides but wasn't really. It was the "Life" did bigger events, FOF did more events argument that was pointless but i'm sure kept people entertained!

I did enjoy seeing how long our posters would last around the Island before mysteriously going missing! it was a busy job replacing them as quickly as we could with another poster.... in some places we would have had to put a fresh poster up daily.

No no no it wasn't life, that was much later, it was FoF and HFL, I was an HFL person & I remember laughing my head off at the DJ ego antics. I fell right out with 'Cyberkid' at the time, I don't even remember what it was all about but it was funny as. Maybe it was before your time though.

Seems dj's want the edge on "opponents" as some see them, i, at this age, can't be arsed but i'm sure when i was younger i got into a few spats, we all wanted to play, some obviously better than others and yet not getting gigs, but thats life.

No names mentioned but about a year ago someone covered for me at my place, then shouted off how shit i was to all the staff and how ace they were, with the staff laughing in their face later on for a very good reason, not only was their music more suited to 5 year olds, really really cheesy scouse house all night, but somehow managed to almost clear a 250 capacity by 1.30, never done before or since, with no more than about 10 people dancing all night, twat.

I thought i said i was too old for the bitching......ah well least its off my chest, never mentioned it before to anyone.

It must be in the DJ dna, a purely genetic thing, as my dad is a dj so i blame him :P

Tell you what though - I would kill for an Electrofresh night down at Laxey again, they were the greatest. Maybe kill is a little over the top, ok, I would like to goto a night down at the Riverside again, the HFLs there were really good too, until they got carried away with their egos. Maybe I should stop hi-jacking this thread with my days gone by mesmoriez but the title covers everything, I guess. Which nights were your favourites?

I don't mean to sound negative but trying to educate manx people in any way shape or form on the music scene is pretty much pointless. You might as well flog a dead horse. And whats the point in that?

trying to educate? I don't remember enrolling in any musical enlightenment classes. Poor choice of words dude, hope you didn't mean it how it sounds? If not, then fair do's, if so then maybe your music's just shite?

Mine's ace btw.

Well I'm always open to a bit of education. I'm hoping that Fatty's going to deliver a lecture on the place of the dodecaphonic scale in contemporary dance music or indeed if it even has a place. Or how about telling us how his music takes a fresh approach to drum and bass by employing modes of limited transposition? I'm not holding my breath though, suspecting as I do that s/he probably uses something along the lines of A minor as the centre of tonality, something that most software packages tend to promote just by their very nature. Grind by grid, lol,lol........... ; ))..............(to the left, two three, to the right, two, three............. )

We’ve got the top man in breaks joining in the fun!

THE VINYL TOUCH

FRIDAY 5 SEPTEMBER

@ Rhythm Factory, London

10pm-6am

For its next knees-up, The Vinyl Touch has the mutha-of-all-breaks-DJs, Krafty Kuts! Hailing from the award-winning Finger Lickin’ Records, the king of breaks plays a select few London gigs a year – and we’re one of them, making it a

super spesh exclusive not to be missed!

The main arena also hosts Menu Music and Kiss 100’s Jay Cunning, and taking it low down and dirty is the spectacular Ed209 of Hardcore Beats and Wireframe Records.

This year’s hot property, Beat Assassins touch down for their debut set at TVT with a four-deck special featuring former UK DMC Team Championship winner, DJ Wooz.

Residents The Magnet Men are back to batter the main room after a summer of festival slots, joined by our regulars Ellis Dee, Swifty B and DJ Lock-up.

In the second room drum ‘n’ bass pioneer Nicky Blackmarket plays a party-smashing mix of classic d’n’b and jungle. Lords of the old skool Niki Dimensions Danny Cand DJ Snypa join him to take the crowd back to the golden era, and we’re mixing up the music policy with a party set of electro and Ibiza classics aswell.

So slap on your fluoro, dig out the glosticks and see out the summer in classic clubbing style with another roadblocking Vinyl Touch event - nine years old and still going strong!

LINEUP

Main room: Krafty Kuts, Jay Cunning, Beat Assassins, Ed209, Ellis Dee, Swifty B, DJ Lock-up, Joe Rapid, The Magnet Men.

Hosted by Cash MC (hmm....... :cool: ), Ken Mac

Room 2: Nicky Blackmarket, Niki Dimensions, Snypa, Danny C, Mr X (Nu Dawn), JC (Epidemik), more artists tbc.

Hosted by 3Flow

ADDRESS

The Rhythm Factory, 16-18 Whitechapel Road, London E1 1EW

ENTRY

£12 (£10 members and NUS)

post-13063-1219164534_thumb.jpg

post-13063-1219164553_thumb.jpg

Interesting topic,, will try to keep brief

IOM has a few big things against it

1. Students leaving for Uni – imo this has a massive impact as a large amount of your core target customers are away for a large amount of time.

2.Unlike in major towns / cities one of the primary reasons people go out here is to see their friends or to hope to bump into people they ain’t seen in a while – whilst this was / (is?) very likely at the bigger house club nights they are unlikely to get a crowd together to go to something more underground due to concerns that there will be no one they know or just no one there.

3. A lot of underground dance music has its roots in and thrives on multiculturalism - iom is prob getting much more diverse but compared to other areas maybe not.

4. Lack of radio support – for a lot of people their first exposure to non mainstream music is through local community radio, the idea of the community being key – ie. Letting them know there are others in the are who are into this music. Don’t think local radio on the iom really caters for anything other than the mainstream (might be wrong)

As has been said, despite this, there have been times when the iom has had nights with a healthy following so maybe it is possible. Although personally as many others prob feel, the despondency that comes with attending nights with so few people in attendance along with the reaction that come at parties when you try and play some (in my case) dnb or old skool leaves you thinking just give up and don’t worry about it.

Anyways I do reckon it is possible but the following would be extremely helpful if not essential:-

1. The resurrection of a well known name, in this case would have to be electrofresh really. This would get hopefully some of the old crowd out – fill it up a bit and encourage others in as a consequence – they would bring their friends next time etc etc

2. Get some mix cds out given away free (would have to be quite a few) with some advertising for a facebook group or myspace or something to build up a little community of fans online who like the music before the night – then you are reducing the risk of putting on a night with no one their. This would also result in general exposure for the music, along with pirate radio mix tapes / cds being swapped at school etc are most peoples first experience of the music and quite often they are hooked for life.

3. Don’t know how open local radio stations would be for you doing a late night show – for similar reasons as above

4. Start off by not charging – despite how negligible the price is, charging puts people off immediately

5. Music wise bassline house and hardcore breakz are definitely your best bet as – bassline house is big commercially and underground esp. up north, think this could be big on iom, also hardcore breakz although it has been bubbling without blowing up for a few years it has the euphoric and some sing along elements akin to commercial house and runs at only a slightly faster bpm – unlike dnb you could play it in an upfront house set and lots of people wouldn’t notice the change.

Nice one on the music so wonderful hope vinyltouch is fun..

Archived