[BBC News] DNA search for dead baby's family

Newsbot

personally i think there is no point to finding out who unless the death was suspicious. the mother may even be dead or not even a native then or now. big waste of time and money. i would rather they spent time and resources on sorting current stuff out.

personally i think there is no point to finding out who unless the death was suspicious. the mother may even be dead or not even a native then or now. big waste of time and money. i would rather they spent time and resources on sorting current stuff out.

Mass screening on a voluntary basis? As you say, if she has gone off island she has gone, and if she's still here she's hardly likely to be one of the volunteers if she hasn't come forward beforehand - though screening sisters, aunts, uncles etc. could possibly lead to a discovery.

There's also no mention of any the DNA collected being destroyed afterwards either, which is certainly something that is likely to stop a lot of people volunteering IMO, until the policy is stated clearly.

ditto.

This is am exercise to give the Isle of Man police some experience in dna testing and some overtime.

There are many in power on this Island who would like to see every single person here with their dna on 'their' database.

If she didnt want to be found in the first place then i fail to see what makes people think she wants to be found now.

I'd guess most criminals don't ever want to be found.

I'm not saying she is a criminal, but I'd guess the police may want to interview her about the circumstances of this person's death.

Anyway, it seems to be common knowledge in the hospital, and I'd assume the police, who the mother is. I guess it's just a case of actually proving it.

I do not understand this. The police cannot take DNA from people at random. There needs to have been an arrest or a charge surely . . .

Or a voluntary sample given, 'for purposes of elimination' as in this case.

I do not understand this. The police cannot take DNA from people at random. There needs to have been an arrest or a charge surely . . .

I have found that here on the Island we can make our own rules up. There doesn't actually 'need' to be anything.

i was thinking along the lines of the old git myself. i'm sure if it was a local woman there are non family members aswell as family who know exactly who it was and the personal cicumstances that meant the child had to be dumped. pressure from a prominent family? scandal at who was involved? the father ( of the baby or the woman/girl ) being an MHK or clergy? many possible 'reasons' why the baby had to go. expanding on my first post, if the baby was found in a blanket all wrapped up and protected and died of natural causes, this is a delayed witch hunt. the usual bollocks con about the woman coming forward as they may need urgent medical attention time span has long since past. do any women that felt the need to dump a baby fall for that?? i would expect the woman involed to have moved on, done her best at putting the event out of her mind, and maybe now has a family she wants with all the things that involves. making them go through a load more shit now ( cos they would have done then ) is pointless unless the baby was deliberately killed and would undoubtedly ruin what she has now with the pointy fingers and gossip. perhaps the police should be looking for lord lucan instead?? much more important in todays world.

Archived