The Dtl Haven't A Clue!

slinkydevil

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the timing of this.

I understood the Isle of Sam crap, even though I didn't agree with it. There was a way to support her by voting on the show. What am I actually supposed to do to ensure that I 'get behind' the lads? They're not going to hear me cheering, I can't phone in and vote for them to win gold and I sure as hell aint going out there. I wish them well and all that and I hope they do well but this just seems so pointless.

The time for a poster campaign to demonstrate Manx support was months ago. You know, when there was a chance the lads might actually see the posters all over the place and see the support to take whatever encouragement they can from it.

It's just another example of populist bandwagoning by an out of touch Government desperate to appeal to anyone they can. The only difference this time is that they appeared to use the work experience lad to knock up something in MSPaint.

I don't get the timing of this.

I understood the Isle of Sam crap, even though I didn't agree with it. There was a way to support her by voting on the show. What am I actually supposed to do to ensure that I 'get behind' the lads? They're not going to hear me cheering, I can't phone in and vote for them to win gold and I sure as hell aint going out there. I wish them well and all that and I hope they do well but this just seems so pointless.

The time for a poster campaign to demonstrate Manx support was months ago. You know, when there was a chance the lads might actually see the posters all over the place and see the support to take whatever encouragement they can from it.

It's just another example of populist bandwagoning by an out of touch Government desperate to appeal to anyone they can. The only difference this time is that they appeared to use the work experience lad to knock up something in MSPaint.

Whilst I agree the poster is terrible, the lads will be in contact with people back home so any support would be relayed, as it were. Furthermore, it might help raise awareness on the Island that they are (or Bellis's case, were) competing.

Re: Bellis's retirement, I was talking to one of the cycling lot last night, and he was saying he'd be very surprised if Bellis finished the race. I think it was just to give him some experience.

Great! even more f&*king SPAM from the Government

Forward it to contacts outside Government with the same request - Spamming is the abuse of electronic messaging systems to indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messages.

Its worse than that though Ans as its yet more proof of an inept department reinforcing what everyone else knows - that they have no clue about what they should be doing to attract people here or how project an image of what it means to be a manx achiever to the outside world.

Most people I know are massively supporting Cav and Bellis anyway - they don't need to be bullied into sticking some shitty poster up in their front window because someone wants to justify his or her job.

Lets not forget Cav is a real ambassador for the IOM and its a shame its the same old DTL Isle of Sam deadwood are following his wake.

I feel sorry for anyone who prints it out on an inkjet printer.....

That solid black background will not only kill a cartridge in about two pages flat, you'll just be left with a dripping mess flopping onto the floor afterwards.....

Its worse than that though Ans as its yet more proof of an inept department reinforcing what everyone else knows - that they have no clue about what they should be doing to attract people here or how project an image of what it means to be a manx achiever to the outside world.

Most people I know are massively supporting Cav and Bellis anyway - they don't need to be bullied into sticking some shitty poster up in their front window because someone wants to justify his or her job.

Lets not forget Cav is a real ambassador for the IOM and its a shame its the same old DTL Isle of Sam deadwood are following his wake.

Thoroughly agree with ans and sos above. There needs to be a proacative - not reactive mind set.

To my mind that extends to most of the 'government'

Innovation seems to be unknown, as is thinking outside the box.

Every time there's a potential opportunity, it is screwed by a tacky/ill thought/ineffective/pointless etc ( pick you own ) reaction.

Thoroughly agree with ans and sos above. There needs to be a proacative - not reactive mind set.

To my mind that extends to most of the 'government'

Innovation seems to be unknown, as is thinking outside the box.

Every time there's a potential opportunity, it is screwed by a tacky/ill thought/ineffective/pointless etc ( pick you own ) reaction.

I'd temper what I posted a little bit in that I'm aware of the resourses the government puts into its sporting achievements initiative in terms of training support, development, grants etc and they do really deserve to have 2 olympians on their books ... but the whole delivery everything in the last few instances has just been cringeworthy.

If it was me I'd be raising the question of image rights in having my picture connected to such an amateurish campaign.

I'd temper what I posted a little bit in that I'm aware of the resourses the government puts into its sporting achievements initiative in terms of training support, development, grants etc and they do really deserve to have 2 olympians on their books ...

I agree but as you say

but the whole delivery everything in the last few instances has just been cringeworthy.

And there's the crux. The benefit/potential is frittered away at the last hurdle.

Archived