Douglas Splashes Out For Christmas

Tempus Fugit

Christmas might seem a long way off, but Douglas Corporation is already progressing plans to make the 2008 festive season one to remember.

£40,000 will be spent on improved decorative lighting in the area of Ridgeway Street and Victoria Street

Is there a better way of spending money or is it just the town hall they want to brighten up ? - there's not much else in those 2 streets apart from parked cars

link

Christmas might seem a long way off, but Douglas Corporation is already progressing plans to make the 2008 festive season one to remember.

£40,000 will be spent on improved decorative lighting in the area of Ridgeway Street and Victoria Street

A complete and utter waste of money from start to finish.

At least Douglas is making an attempt at brightening the place up...you want to come to Peel sometime at night and see our 'beautiful' promenade and its decorative lights. If you do see them then you have spent too long in the Creek, Peveril or Marine!!!

they are spouting about the state of the lanes now

At the end of the week which saw the Britain in Bloom judges visit Douglas, the Corporation is launching a crack-down on filthy back lanes.

Wheelie bins are being left outside rear yards seven days a week, causing obstructions for residents and, potentially, the emergency services.

Works Committee chairman Councillor Ritchie McNicholl (pictured) says it's causing an unsightly mess in a number of areas, and letters are being sent to some of the local authority's tenants to remind them of their reponsibilities

and they are about to inflict even more bin-boxes on us to find places and spaces for, (oh just find a corner of the kitchen for them !), if there's not room in back yards for wheelie bins how many of these boxes are just going to be stuffed out in the lane too ?

they are spouting about the state of the lanes now
At the end of the week which saw the Britain in Bloom judges visit Douglas, the Corporation is launching a crack-down on filthy back lanes.

Wheelie bins are being left outside rear yards seven days a week, causing obstructions for residents and, potentially, the emergency services.

Works Committee chairman Councillor Ritchie McNicholl (pictured) says it's causing an unsightly mess in a number of areas, and letters are being sent to some of the local authority's tenants to remind them of their reponsibilities

and they are about to inflict even more bin-boxes on us to find places and spaces for, (oh just find a corner of the kitchen for them !), if there's not room in back yards for wheelie bins how many of these boxes are just going to be stuffed out in the lane too ?

Stand by for the fines...the enforcement officers are probably at a secret training camp in Jurby as I write.

Stand by for the fines...the enforcement officers are probably at a secret training camp in Jurby as I write.

post-2251-1218404532_thumb.jpg "Ahhhh....I got you now Butler Ratepayer. Made my day that has."

2007 Byelaws

(1) It shall be an offence for any owner, resident or occupant of any domestic or commercial premises to place, leave or cause to be placed or left, in any street, open area or foreshore or other place to which there is public access, whether or not adopted as a public highway, any refuse bin provided for collection of controlled household, domestic, commercial or industrial waste.

(2) This byelaw does not affect the requirement for such owners, residents or occupants to place and leave the refuse bin in the street, open area or other place, without causing any obstruction whatsoever to any person, on the day it is to be emptied, and provided the refuse bin is removed from the street, open area or other place as soon as practicable and in any case on the same day.

Aww come on, let them be frivolous with our tax money this Christmas, wasting our money is not just for Christmas you know its like a puppy we're stuck with it all year round. Let them spend 40 grand on some bulbs which I can't see whilst queuing for 3 hours for a bar of soap me mum likes from Boots. Or standing for longer in a queue on a rainy Thursday night for the 'ooh shiny thing' the missus wants. I'm thinking sod doing up outside, have the government go wild and chip in and make the painful torturous shopping a bit more pleasant. Perhaps I just have zero patience.

Archived