[BBC News] Manx Telecom staff back walkout

Newsbot

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got my phone bill today (home) and MT have charged me £74-40 plus vat for broadband ?

And our bill went from about 150 pounds per quarter to 99 pounds for what looks like a month. Something dodgy afoot methinks.

MT should stand firm on this, it's a good offer - in the potential circumstances. If everyone went on strike for 4.1%, inflation will be 9% next year.

The majority of people have telephones, and such pay rises will therefore be passed onto most people, impacting their standard of living and inflation rate directly.

The Government need to be vocal on this one IMO to stop this attitude spreading.

If MT have lot of money in the pot, I can think of better pockets to return it to i.e. ours - as we are already ripped off by them.

Trust me, Manx Telecom will try to fuck you to the maximum extent possible, whether or not they have to pay their staff more

Utter, utter, utter w******! 4.1%! I would jump at that. I've not had a pay rise in over 18 months. Somebody tell the idiots at MT that there is a recession occurring. As has been quite rightly said in previous posts, if everybody got pay rises at or above inflation, this would only result in higher interest rates and ultimately higer inflation.

Mark my words, it will be the MEA and gas workers wanting similar soon or threatening a strike and when they get what they want, wait for the newxt announcement that the electricity and gas bills are going up another 15%. Maybe, just maybe, if the service they offered was somewhat half decent, people would feel just a tiny modicum of understanding for what they are saying.

Maybe, just maybe, if the service they offered was somewhat half decent, people would feel just a tiny modicum of understanding for what they are saying.

I sympathise with them. As do others I know. And the service is the responsibility of the management.

This company has a virtual monopoly on the island's communication systems - can you imagine the disruption for our statutory and business services if MT systems came to a stop.

Having a great interest in resilient telecommunications, I wonder what continuity plans IOM businesses and services have if the telecommunication systems are switched off?

(Back to pigeons and Morse code)

John

(I don’t work for MT or any of the telecommunication industries)

Back to pigeons and Morse code

Don't be silly, pigeons can't do morse code.

They tap it out with their beak – you must have heard of pigeon English.

Oh yer - Seed Seed Seed, Bread Bread Bread, Bread Seed Seed, Bread Bread Bread, Seed Seed Bread Seed, Seed Seed Bread Seed, Bread Bread, Bread.

Back to pigeons and Morse code

Don't be silly, pigeons can't do morse code.

They tap it out with their beak – you must have heard of pigeon English.

Oh yer - Seed Seed Seed, Bread Bread Bread, Bread Seed Seed, Bread Bread Bread, Seed Seed Bread Seed, Seed Seed Bread Seed, Bread Bread, Bread.

:( "SOD OFF MT" sent with great character and feeling for our local telecommunications provider!

John

I've never quite understood the whole union setup - does this mean (if approved) that everyone would get 4.1% across the whole company? Is that not slightly unfair, if for instance, Person A works their bollocks off, does a great job and goes that extra mile - they get 4.1%. Whilst Person B does sod all, surfs the net and eats sausage baps all day and gets 4.1%. I would have thought that would generate a lot of friction in a big organisation.

Having a great interest in resilient telecommunications, I wonder what continuity plans IOM businesses and services have if the telecommunication systems are switched off?

I guess that's the purpose of the licence that MT run under. As far as I know they must provide resilience and also provide emergency services communications infrastructure as part of their remit. If they don't they land up in court or possibly have their licence revoked.

What is interesting now is that the copper wire infrastructure is becoming less and less important as time goes by. Mobile technology has superseded the notion of a wired phone in every home. Broadband could be provisioned either by the mobile network or Wimax. Domicilium have a wireless backbone stretching across the island - other providers could have private point to point connections, I don't know. I also believe there are microwave links on and off the island, so we're not quite as dependent on a monolithic operator and its precious bits of copper as once we were.

Archived