[BBC News] Manx Telecom staff back walkout

Newsbot

4.1% in a recession is a damn good pay rise

It is indeed, but we're not in a recession just yet.

Well I think some people are going to look like a bunch of twats on this one. In this climate 4.1% is damn good - I'm sure some smug people will think they're really getting somewhere if they force it to get 6.5% this year and a big fat redundancy letter next year.

I'm glad I've got Skype out so they can all go and shag themselves.

Couple of things here for people who haven't really kept up.

1 They are after 4.3% not 6.5%

2 Who do you think maintains the copper wires your skype runs on

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see any reference to that but actually that's even fucking stupider - you are saying they are striking over .2% over and above what they have already been offered? Its bugger all to anyone.

Yeah but the minute they turn the broadband off the government will seriously fuck them over. If that happened C&W will get the key to everything. Don't forget the Governments own phone system is VOiP so likely they don't give a toss either at this stage.

I can't see any reference to that but actually that's even fucking stupider - you are saying they are striking over .2% over and above what they have already been offered? Its bugger all to anyone.

Yeah but the minute they turn the broadband off the government will seriously fuck them over. If that happened C&W will get the key to everything. Don't forget the Governments own phone system is VOiP so likely they don't give a toss either at this stage.

3 - who do you think mainatiains the governements VoIP network? And the copper and fibre that connected it all together? And provides calls to the outside world?...

Has anyone considered the possiblity that if you are not directly invloved in all this you might not have all the facts and jumping to stupid conclusions? Those directly invloved and have the facts are the only people who have a right to judge on what's going on, no matter which side of the fence they are on.

Has anyone considered the possiblity that if you are not directly invloved in all this you might not have all the facts and jumping to stupid conclusions? Those directly invloved and have the facts are the only people who have a right to judge on what's going on, no matter which side of the fence they are on.

I think you'll find that many people - people who have had no pay rises this year because of the financial climate - have every right to comment whether they are right or wrong in what they say.

You don't have to be an engineer to comment on whether you think the strike action is stupid or whether you think that if they ever disrupted the broadband capabilities with their actions the game will be well and truly over.

[i think you'll find that many people - people who have had no pay rises this year because of the financial climate - have every right to comment whether they are right or wrong in what they say.

You don't have to be an engineer to comment on whether you think the strike action is stupid or whether you think that if they ever disrupted the broadband capabilities with their actions the game will be well and truly over.

Sorry, you're right. People do have a right to comment. It just bugs when with these things that people take assumptions as fact. Have you ever read an newspaper article about something you have personal knowledge off and there always seems to be many errors and omitions? I always bear that in mind when I read anything. It seems quite sudden and odd that this has happened to quickly but I'm sure it has been going on for some time, as one person hear said 5 months?

I also don't think that person A working for company X should be refused something because person B working at company Y didn't get it.

3 - who do you think mainatiains the governements VoIP network? And the copper and fibre that connected it all together? And provides calls to the outside world?...

Well can someone at MT/CWU give us the real story as to what they are after?

I wouldn't come on here if I worked for MT, you'd get chased by villigers with torches and pitch forks.

Funny all your posts are in this thread. But you don't work for MT. Course not ;)

I'll admit I have an interest. But most people do to some degree.

I wouldn't come on here if I worked for MT, you'd get chased by villigers with torches and pitch forks.

Funny all your posts are in this thread. But you don't work for MT. Course not ;)

I'll admit I have an interest. But most people do to some degree.

I have no interest whatsoever. The economy is turning very sharply here and if people are stupid enough to strike when confronted with what seems to be a totally fair offer that is entirely their own perogative.

Allow me. The last offer (it originally started at 3 point something - I don't take much notice as like a few others, I'm happy to get something) of 4.1 was rejected because they were informed by the CWU that managers had received 4.3 & they want the same (the managers are in a different union - Connect UK). That's really the top & bottom of it. Yes it would seem they're prepared to lose a day’s wage to support this. However, all this talk of 200 members balloted is nonsense. They have never actually had every member vote for a yes or no. It would seem the decision to strike was on the advice of the CWU. Apparently there was another meeting this morning but thus far, they have failed to notify their members of the result/outcome. I’m aware of a few people who have cancelled their membership since this started as they don’t feel that this has been handled well. To hear of the decision to strike via the local press doesn’t bode well.

For the record once again, please don't tar all MT staff with the same brush. We are very aware of how lucky we are. Unfortunately there are still a few who don't realise this & are prepared to cut off their nose in an attempt at victory over the company. MT already looks after its staff very well & pays what appear to be market rate salaries.

Digital torches and pitchforks, obviously. Remember - only one each!

torch01junexs5.gif

pitchforkclipart17lt9.gif

Allow me. The last offer (it originally started at 3 point something - I don't take much notice as like a few others, I'm happy to get something) of 4.1 was rejected because they were informed by the CWU that managers had received 4.3 & they want the same (the managers are in a different union - Connect UK). That's really the top & bottom of it. Yes it would seem they're prepared to lose a day’s wage to support this. However, all this talk of 200 members balloted is nonsense. They have never actually had every member vote for a yes or no. It would seem the decision to strike was on the advice of the CWU. Apparently there was another meeting this morning but thus far, they have failed to notify their members of the result/outcome. I’m aware of a few people who have cancelled their membership since this started as they don’t feel that this has been handled well. To hear of the decision to strike via the local press doesn’t bode well.

For the record once again, please don't tar all MT staff with the same brush. We are very aware of how lucky we are. Unfortunately there are still a few who don't realise this & are prepared to cut off their nose in an attempt at victory over the company. MT already looks after its staff very well & pays what appear to be market rate salaries.

Thanks for that. I suspected as much...

Archived