[BBC News] Manx Telecom staff back walkout

Newsbot

Possibly, but I believe in the “Service-Profit Chain” principle where employee satisfaction directly correlates to customer satisfaction i.e. happy workforce = happy customers = good profit. I’m not certain that the morale in MT is that good at the moment, even accounting for this settlement. This will eventually be reflected in poor service standards and hence, less satisfied customers.

Correct. But it's very difficult to quantify business losses due to low morale. How else do you think the UK in general has had appalling managers getting away with it year after year?

Certainly is. Perhaps managers here and in the UK don't want to even try and quantify this in that case!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An old mentor of mine once said of management, (and I paraphrase) "If they're not grumbling, you're not managing".

Whilst the money has been rolling in at MT then perhaps the management layer has lead a charmed life and not had to make any difficult personnel decisions, but surprise surprise, come talk of a recession, they have had to start earning their keep.

One might even have the gall to spin the recent pay dispute into a positive statement, I've heard it said of the reported redundancies in Charterhouse, "At least the management has the balls to do it, that they could stomach difficult decisions".

Archived