[BBC News] Ideas sought for Summerland site

Newsbot

Hamster World.

A huge 80 foot high Hamster environment.

post-4809-1218638495_thumb.jpg

People would come from all over the world.

We could even rebrand as the Isle of Ham.........

I would definitely favour it being a public building/complex for leisure and recreational use, making full use of the amazing view of Douglas bay which is under-rated - both from inside and on a balcony outside the building.

It needs maximum flexibility to respond to demand and changing fashions.

Sadly it will probably need to be responsive to commercial demands for financial reasons I fear. An upmarket restaurant and bar with unique bay views maybe?

The basement / lower area could be focused on young people. But has anybody thought to ask young people of Douglas to test (surveys etc) whether they want a space at the end of the Prom?

How about a contemporary arts/living culture focus? There is plenty of history/'heritage Story of Mann locations on the island already, but perhaps more scope for some space which could host visiting modern exhibitions (eg from Liverpool Tate) or displays by Manx artists - and I dont just mean a few paintings. This could be attached to an arts themed coffee area which could be turned into a trendy bar in the evenings with a small, fairly intimate performance space for manx or visiting musicians....

But above all lots of research to learn from what works elsewhere and check whether there really is a market for whatever proposals are put forward. And robust tests of the business model to make sure it doesn't become a financial liability.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to laugh at the headline in the papers declaring 'Lots of interested expressed in Sumerland site'

As if any developer is going to ignore the chance of getting their mits on a huge development plot because its current owner lacks the vision or the skills to do anything with it other than give it away.

I'm now waiting for next weeks headline 'Surprise interest expressed in company giving away free money'

A very sound proposal Mr. Tatlock. And the outdoor area that you mention for looking out of the bay, that would be a grand place to observe the sea, you would hardly ever have to worry about one of the Steam Racket's vessels spoiling the view.

Spoiling the view of the sea? What's there to view??

A decent digital cinema.

Some indoor football/volleyball/squash/basketball courts.

Indoor climbing walls.

An aquarium.

Coffee shop/snack bar/kiddies oriented restaurant.

No bars or clubs - there's enough places to drink in Douglas already.

I had to laugh at the headline in the papers declaring 'Lots of interested expressed in Sumerland site'

As if any developer is going to ignore the chance of getting their mits on a huge development plot because its current owner lacks the vision or the skills to do anything with it other than give it away.

I'm now waiting for next weeks headline 'Surprise interest expressed in company giving away free money'

I'm with you on this one and await the various consultancies eagerly waiting outside with brand new laptops, filled with suggestions picked up from this forum.

Alternatively, it might go to a certain big house builder on the island, if they have er... the connections. Did I really say that? Oohh... the devilment in me at the moment :P

Archived