[BBC News] Shortage of Grand Prix marshals

Newsbot

Hmmm, marhsalls might be thin on the ground as not many people want to be arrested on suspicion of manslaughter if a bike decides to cut a path through the spectators, especially when its volunteer work. I know the bloke was released without charge but still seems like more hassle than its worth. Especially in today's climate, surprised Claims Direct aren't sponsoring it.

Come on now, I know it's not everyones cup pf tea, but if this doesn't go ahead due to lack of marshals it will surely be the end of the event and perhaps the TT also.

We will all be the poorer for the loss if they go, even the hardline knockers, if only they would realise it!

The threat of prosecution is not there providing that you behave responsibly as every marshal always has!

This is the big chance to stick two fingers up to Moyle and the forced comeover finance fatcats who don't even want to be here in the first place. It's them and their media hyped self opinionated crap which has got us into the present state! Scared of our own shadow!

Come on now, I know it's not everyones cup pf tea, but if this doesn't go ahead due to lack of marshals it will surely be the end of the event and perhaps the TT also.

We will all be the poorer for the loss if they go, even the hardline knockers, if only they would realise it!

The threat of prosecution is not there providing that you behave responsibly as every marshal always has!

This is the big chance to stick two fingers up to Moyle and the forced comeover finance fatcats who don't even want to be here in the first place. It's them and their media hyped self opinionated crap which has got us into the present state! Scared of our own shadow!

If you have any time that you can spare, even if it is only for a few sessions, sign up. The training is excellent, and you will not be asked to do anything that you do not wish to do.

If we lose the MGP for the want of a few more marshals we'll be even deeper into the nanny state.

http://www.iomttma.com/index.php

The Isle of Man TT Marshals Association was founded in 1962 to improve liaison between marshals and race organisers. In January 2004 we became the Isle of Man TT Marshals Association Limited.

For the TT or MGP around 1,200 marshals are signed up for duty. They are all volunteers who give their time freely, many cover all the practice sessions and races, and that totals some 45 hours each, a contribution that is much appreciated. It is a popular mis-conception that you have to be Manx or reside on the Isle of Man, to be a marshal, but this is not the case. Anyone aged over 16 who is able bodied and wants to join us, can apply to become a marshal.

The standard of marshalling on the island is recognised as very high and the Isle of Man TT Marshals Association Limited, in conjunction with St John Ambulance, arranges training sessions during the winter months, both on the Island and in the UK.

The Incident Management Courses (IMC) cover:

• Duties of a Marshal
  • Basic first aid training
  • Handling incidents including the safety of riders and the removal of damaged machinery.
  • The use of flags
  • Communications including TETRA Radio's
  • Helicopter Procedures
  • Control of Prohibited and Restricted Areas.

The certificate given is a Nationally recognised St John Ambulance certificate, 'Emergency Aid for Motorcyclists'

The TT Course is also manned by volunteers from the Hogg Motorsport Association, St. John Ambulance, Red Cross and Civil Defence.

Motorsport Medical Services (M&MS) and the Manx Organisation for Motorsport Medical Officers (MOMMOP) supply all the Paramedics and Doctors stationed around the course.

The course is divided into 12 sectors, each covered by a Sector Marshal, several deputies and other marshals.

It would be impossible to run the races without the support of these dedicated men and women and the Isle of Man TT Marshals Association Limited is always keen to recruit more marshals for the Isle of Man circuits.

Or us normal manx people?

In my opinion you'd have to be mental to volunteer to marshal for this event. I can sort of understand bikers going in for it, they love a bit of that them and us nonsense but there are clearly not enough of them. (or rather, us, lol,lol...... ; )) And why would anyone else do it for no financial reward. It's dangerous in the extreme, often freezing cold and if you're not a hardcore fan it's actually really boring. What fun. I've got plenty of free time but I'd never sign up.

this would include the marshal that ran accross the road in kirkmichael a few years ago resulting in her death and that of the rider that collided with her??

In my opinion you'd have to be mental to volunteer to marshal for this event. I can sort of understand bikers going in for it, they love a bit of that them and us nonsense but there are clearly not enough of them. (or rather, us, lol,lol...... ; )) And why would anyone else do it for no financial reward. It's dangerous in the extreme, often freezing cold and if you're not a hardcore fan it's actually really boring. What fun. I've got plenty of free time but I'd never sign up.

Agreed, it is only enjoyable to those who are interested. But there are a lot of people who say that they are fans who sit on the sidelines.

I would argue that it is no more dangerous than you care to make it. Nobody is asking you to stand anywhere dangerous, you have a choice.

Honestly, I don't think people will realise what they had 'til it's gone!

mmm let's see, Insentive for visiting marshals discount on ferry fares, Insentive for local marshals fuck all. Anyone got any ideas why people arn't signing

Maybe we could teach them to spell incentive?

Archived