[BBC News] Police launch recruitment drive

Newsbot

‘During the year the Constabulary achieved a detection rate of 43.2%. This represents a significant increase from that achieved in 2004/05 when the detection rate was 38.8% (average over the last three years of 35.6%). The average detection rate in England and Wales is 26%. Again this is excellent performance.’

The average detection rate in the UK is 26% is that true? Virtually 75% of the time your going to completely get away with it. Is that what this means?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most likely, when you take into account all the crimes reported. UK police don't even come out to a burglary unless huge amounts have been nicked or someone injured. When you add burglaries to criminal damage (vandalism) and petty theft from property without a breaking and entering, of which there is a great deal more in the UK than here, then the figures are somewhat skewed. All these crimes have to be reported to the police for a case number to enable the victim to make a claim on their insurance, but very few are actually investigated by the police so cannot possibly be 'detected'.

Glad to see other people think the Local Bobbies, whilst not all good but not all bad, try to do a good job.

I don't think the height thing is applicable so much now as they've noticed that brains can over come brawn :P

Most likely, when you take into account all the crimes reported. UK police don't even come out to a burglary unless huge amounts have been nicked or someone injured. When you add burglaries to criminal damage (vandalism) and petty theft from property without a breaking and entering, of which there is a great deal more in the UK than here, then the figures are somewhat skewed. All these crimes have to be reported to the police for a case number to enable the victim to make a claim on their insurance, but very few are actually investigated by the police so cannot possibly be 'detected'.

Don't be so sure...had an attempted break in at 3.30am a couple of weeks ago, country village, nothing stolen, police attended in less than 10 mins, dog handler less than 10 mins after, soco the next morning, detective did house to house that night, and since have had victim support phone call and follow up call from (young, caring, interested) detective, absolutely brilliant 100%, I was not expecting any response but am now gobsmacked and impressed, so its not all bad, and not always a good idea to jump on the 'police never bother' bandwagon....i have learnt a lesson...there are always 'opposite' stories to this but crap service is not a 'given'.....and that's Derbyshire!

AND WHO DO YOU SAD BUNCH CALL WHEN THERE'S A CAR PARKED OUTSIDE YOUR DRIVE...OR YOU NEED YOUR LIFE SAVING WHEN BEING ATTACKED BY A MAD AXEMAN???? QUICK TO SLATE AND QUICK TO CALL :lol:

When there is a car parked outside my drive it usually means i have visitors or that there is a free space and a member of the general public is enjoying not having to pay for a parking spot.

The last time i was attacked by a mad axeman (which happens all too often i must say.) i called for my mummy, then woke up.

Personally i think the Manx police should be proud of them selves for doing a cracking job, all the better now they train locally. They will always have their critics.

‘During the year the Constabulary achieved a detection rate of 43.2%. This represents a significant increase from that achieved in 2004/05 when the detection rate was 38.8% (average over the last three years of 35.6%). The average detection rate in England and Wales is 26%. Again this is excellent performance.’

The average detection rate in the UK is 26% is that true? Virtually 75% of the time your going to completely get away with it. Is that what this means?

No.

The clear-up rate relates only to reported crimes. Unreported crimes are nearly always gotten-away-with. And the number of unrecorded crimes could be higher than the number of recorded crimes. Nobody knows, because they're not recorded.

But even with recorded crimes, the bald statistics don't tell the full story.

This is because the clear-up rate for serious crimes (murder, etc) is higher than for most crimes because that's what the police focus on. The corollary is that less serious crimes have an even lower clear-up rate.

If you commit a burglary, your chance of getting away with it is probably in the region of ten to one.

S

If you commit a burglary, your chance of getting away with it is probably in the region of ten to one.

S

According to last years IOM Police annual report - on Manx Government website - the chances are actually closer to two to one (46% detection rate for recorded dwelling burglary).

Even with forum postings, the bald comments don't tell the full story!

S

According to last years IOM Police annual report - on Manx Government website - the chances are actually closer to two to one (46% detection rate for recorded dwelling burglary).

Even with forum postings, the bald comments don't tell the full story!

Do read before you post.

The thread had moved over to UK statistics, which is what I was responding to. ("The average detection rate in the UK is 26% is that true? Virtually 75% of the time your going to completely get away with it. Is that what this means?")

As far as the IOM is concerned, the police report is again referring to recorded crimes. However, unlike the UK, I would expect the great majority of burglaries in the IOM WOULD be recorded. So their figures may not be too wide of the mark.

S

Edited to correct typos

Archived