Chip & Pin Fraud

manshimajin

Hopefully this won't reach us on the Island. Nowadays I pay cash at UK petrol stations which seem to be the most likely place to have your card cloned.

Chip & PIN

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit, I've never really understood how Chip & Pin is any more secure than a signature. If anything, it's less secure in my view. From my elevated eyesight, I can usually see over the shoulder of the person in front of me and could note their PIN number easily.

Biometrics are the way forward. Honey trap itt

With a signature if you lose your card your signature is in plain sight to copy. How is someone going to get your PIN then?

Also at restaurants they used to have to take your card away to swipe. Now, with their fancy gadgets, they can verify your PIN at the table without the card having to leave your sight.

On an aside, I got a letter from my bank telling me to keep my "personal PIN number" safe. Do these idiots not even know what PIN is an acronym of?

Heh. Mate of mine just got a letter from her bank which helpfully includes a little insert where she can write down her user ID in case she forgets it........Insert helpfully has YOUR USER ID printed in big letters.

I could never understand why bank and credit cards haven't simply got an image of the holder printed on them. There are cards available on which you can have a family photo printed, I'd be happy to have my ugly chops shown on a card if it meant that anyone else using it was going to be challenged and caught.

I know that internet buying etc isn't secured this way but it would stop simpler fraud.

Doesnt most card fraud happen over internet anyway? People buying Wide screen Tv's off the internet with other peoples cards.

I wouldnt have said the majority of people would steal a card and go into a shop with it anyway... <_<

Doesnt most card fraud happen over internet anyway? People buying Wide screen Tv's off the internet with other peoples cards.

I wouldnt have said the majority of people would steal a card and go into a shop with it anyway... <_<

Recently 11 people (I think) were arrested in the USA. If I've got it right they had parked themselves outside a major retailer's HQ, hacked into the retailers wi-fi network and planted some sort of 'bug' that fed them details of millions of clients' credit card records...

When I was on the receiving end of a fraud I talked to my bank's audit team to see if I could find out how it had happened (I suspected a UK garage where I topped up a hire car). First of all they could not tell me 'in case we are able to prosecute' so IF it was something I had done I had no way of knowing. Secondly, and much more worrying, they told me that even if I had never used my credit card and had locked it away in a safe there are scams these days that could use it - apparenly through random number generation. Comforting thought.

in some ways it is unfortunate that the real victim is the retailer (or their insurer) as the bank reclaims fraudulent payments from them - reducing the incentive for banks to make their systems more secure. (Ultimately of course the vistim is you and I the customer as we end up paying more)

Hopefully this won't reach us on the Island. Nowadays I pay cash at UK petrol stations which seem to be the most likely place to have your card cloned.

Chip & PIN

Its already on the island link to thread

At the time the way things unfolded we thought it was a phone scam, it wasnt but long story short my gf's card was cloned and it was never used off island.

Banks are not honest about fraud, they cover a lot up. I recently heard about a case where someones card had been fraudulently used to purchase airline tickets, I dont know what happened in the end but I would have thought it would be pretty easy to catch the culprit. I imagine the IOM police wet themselves with excitement at the prospect of investigating cc fraud but it seems a lot of the time the banks/insurers just take the hit & the fraudsters get away with it.

You can't shop online unless you know the cardholders address.

With a signature if you lose your card your signature is in plain sight to copy. How is someone going to get your PIN then?

As Ans said, looking over your sholder while you are typing it in.

I mean it covers you more if it's lost instead of stolen. If you lose your wallet or something then it couldn't be used as they wouldn't have your PIN.

You can't shop online unless you know the cardholders address.

But I stole your Credit Cards from your house.

As Ans said, looking over your sholder while you are typing it in.

The PIN number is on the magnetic strip on the back. It always was.

Archived