Chip & Pin Fraud

manshimajin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alternatively, go to the Bank once a month and write a cheque for the cash you need. ;)

Cronky, that also makes a lot of budgetary sense - its been shown over and over again that getting people to use cash instead of plastic teaches them to manage their finances better.

That's why retailers and banks keep pushing cards onto people.

My Dad ran a small rural business in the UK up until the 1970's. Employees were paid in cash, grew there own vedgetables and 'debt' was a four letter word. Simple life it may be, compared to today, but it seems to me they lived well and without all the modern gripes.

Later on, when I was in the military, I recall those who had problems with debt were paid in cash until they learned how to control their own money.

We mostly use cash. It's just less hassle - and more private as no one keeps a record of where you go and what you spend. It also stops us overspending.

I use cash whenever I'm out in town, this is readily replenished from one of the various cash machines in Ramsey. My budgeting must be crap because I can never remember what I spent my money on the night before - although there must be a clue in the fact that it always gives me a headache.

The PIN number is on the magnetic strip on the back. It always was.

No it isn't.

Chip and Pin is a compromise though, the cryptography could have been much better, but the proposed system was dropped because of backwards compatability issues and costs.

Got this little beauty today, do they think I'm absolutely fucking stupid?

Because it has expired, your credit card ending in 5336 has been removed from your PayPal account.

If this was the only credit card on your PayPal account, you will need to add a new card to continue sending instant PayPal payments.

To add a new credit card:

Go to the Profile subtab

Click on the 'Credit Cards' link in the Financial Information column

Click 'Add'

Enter your credit card information

Click 'Save'

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences.

Copyright ©1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.

Société en Commandite par Actions

Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg

RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP031

No and never had. All my cards have at least 2 yrs to run.

So how do you think the email is fraudulent? A mistake perhaps, but it doesn't give you a link to follow, it doesn't ask for any passwords (warning you not to) and it specifically tells you to go to paypal and log in to your account, which you would do anyway to edit any information.

Archived