Chip & Pin Fraud

manshimajin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From this morning's (18 August) Irish Examiner:

New Chip and Pin Fraud

It appears that Irish banks have unilaterally limited ATM withdrawals ouside of Ireland to €100 per day as a result of this scam.

The PIN number is on the magnetic strip on the back. It always was.

No it isn't.

Chip and Pin is a compromise though, the cryptography could have been much better, but the proposed system was dropped because of backwards compatability issues and costs.

Sorry Slim, but it is. The chip contains account information that relates to instant payments / account security, and is not used in most cash machines, only in chip and pin machines.

Sorry Slim, but it is. The chip contains account information that relates to instant payments / account security, and is not used in most cash machines, only in chip and pin machines.

Cambon, it doesn't contain the PIN. Don't make me give you another cryptography lesson.

Skrappey, it's called Chip and Pin because it has a chip and you use a pin to authorise payments, not because it stores the pin.

Cambon, it doesn't contain the PIN. Don't make me give you another cryptography lesson.

Skrappey, it's called Chip and Pin because it has a chip and you use a pin to authorise payments, not because it stores the pin.

Christ Droid, Have you got PMT or something? Read the thread!

Christ Droid, Have you got PMT or something? Read the thread!

What part of the thread? You said mag stripes contain the PIN:

"QUOTE (Cambon @ Aug 14 2008, 04:29 PM)

The PIN number is on the magnetic strip on the back. It always was."

It isn't. What else is there to say? Mag stripes contain an offset of the pin for verification, not the pin itself. You can't optain a PIN from cloning a magnetic stripe.

This is why card cloning operations on ATM's combine a card reader for the mag strip and a camera to capture pins as they're entered. There is no PIN on a magnetic swipe.

Here's a good example:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp

I was going to reply but I cannot be arsed.

Thats Cambon for 'oh yeah, I was talking out of my botty again'.

Sigh. Ok, so when you put your cash card (assuming you are allowed to have such a thing) into an ATM and type in your PIN number, where does the machine look to validate the PIN?

A. A card board box

B. Georgia

C. It does not validate it

D. The Magnetic Strip

A. A card board box

B. Georgia

C. It does not validate it

D. The Magnetic Strip

D.

Do you need cryptography explaining again? Same as the ole biometrics discussion that you never could understand, you don't need the original data to verify. Same as when you type a password into this forum, it doesn't store it. The board admin can't look at his database and get your password, it aint there. The mag stripe on ATMs work in a similar way.

D.

Do you need cryptography explaining again? Same as the ole biometrics discussion that you never could understand, you don't need the original data to verify. Same as when you type a password into this forum, it doesn't store it. The board admin can't look at his database and get your password, it aint there. The mag stripe on ATMs work in a similar way.

Good. Well Done!!!

Now question 2.

How does the information get put on the Magnetic Strip?

A. Flybe

B. Magic

C. It is not there at all it is held by the office junior at the bank

D. There is a machine that encodes magnetic strips on cards.

How does the information get put on the Magnetic Strip?

A. Flybe

B. Magic

C. It is not there at all it is held by the office junior at the bank

D. There is a machine that encodes magnetic strips on cards.

Not sure how it's relevant, but D. The data which isn't the PIN number is put on the card by some kind of machine. So?

Archived