Annual 'a' Level Results Slating Thread

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Students are just better prepared for exams these days.

...and nothing whatsoever to do with teacher targets and league tables??

Did I say that?

The motivations of schools and teachers is largely immaterial.

Every year a big fuss gets made about this, and it really doesn't make all that much difference.

That girl is cross-eyed...and why are they both excited about the results, are they siamese twins who took their A-levels together.

If you've got the results it makes no difference, an A is an A in the current job market, the likelihood of you applying for the same job as someone who took their A-levels in the 80's are slim so employers don't really care when you took your exams. You have no option of the standard of exams you sit and fortunately the majority of universities and employers accept that. Good luck if you've applied to Uni and enjoy the experience, if you're applying for jobs then extra good luck!!

Don't listen to the doom and gloom merchants on here, i got pretty crap A-level results 4 years ago (apparently they equate to E's in the 80's and one would have been a fail) and I've gone on to University, done a post-graduate degree and just accepted my dream job for a rather large technology company.

P.S. If you've just done your A-levels you're shit...Fact! ;)

Don't listen to the doom and gloom merchants on here, i got pretty crap A-level results 4 years ago (apparently they equate to E's in the 80's and one would have been a fail) and I've gone on to University, done a post-graduate degree and just accepted my dream job for a rather large technology company.

Poor teachers maybe?

...and nothing whatsoever to do with teacher targets and league tables??

Did I say that?

The motivations of schools and teachers is largely immaterial.

Every year a big fuss gets made about this, and it really doesn't make all that much difference.

Exactly....life is what happens after your exams. Students and the media get far too het up about this...we should be encouraging the sportsmen, the artists, the entrepreneurial spirits, not just the eggheads who can regurgitate under exam conditions.

What a joke, if universities were as strict today as they were 20 years ago, they'd be half empty

Don't you mean the opposite to that?

I have the exam papers sat by my grandfather, mother and self (1976). By comparison with my father's and mother's papers the exams today are much easier. Interesting that King Bill's uses the baccalaureate system now (not in my day though) and the Island's education minister was / is considering switching over the the baccalaureate.

What a joke, if universities were as strict today as they were 20 years ago, they'd be half empty

Comparing today with the days when British Gas was being sold off is really quite laughable. Our entire further education system has changed now, and its difficult to make the argument that we are poorer or stupider for it.

Comparing today with the days when British Gas was being sold off is really quite laughable. Our entire further education system has changed now, and its difficult to make the argument that we are poorer or stupider for it.

You weren't born you yoof

Poor teachers maybe?

Lazy student, the majority of the teachers were good although my lowest result is down to a combination of poor teachers and a lazy student.

Exactly....life is what happens after your exams. Students and the media get far too het up about this...we should be encouraging the sportsmen, the artists, the entrepreneurial spirits, not just the eggheads who can regurgitate under exam conditions.

If we didn't have "eggheads", you wouldn't be typing on a messageboard, you'd be scratching on a cave wall - the only sport would be running, the artists would be painting with their own dung (and how we've come full circle on that one!) and the entrepreneurial spirits would be going into business selling caves with a view.

It's funny how people make a virtue of stupidity and ignorance.

Archived