Port St.mary Butchered

TomGlassey

Tomorrow afternoon John Corrin the Port St. Mary butcher, will close his doors for the last time. It will be the first time in over 100 years that there has not been a butcher's shop in Port St. Mary. His shop is to be turned into a diving and surfing shop. Hopefully John will find new premises somewhere else and open up as a butcher again at some point in the future. I guess the badly needed (I think not) diving shop will continue until Tescos decide to sell diving equipment

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is sad, was it a case of rent hikes?

I have always bought at independent butchers because I don't think Tescos can compete with them.

When I say compete I don't mean cost because Tescos drive all prices down. But I do mean in quality. It might be a psychological thing but the taste of local meat from a local butcher will always be to my taste.

As you said, lets hope he opens up again and gives all of you in Port St Mary the choice.

That is sad, was it a case of rent hikes?

I have always bought at independent butchers because I don't think Tescos can compete with them.

When I say compete I don't mean cost because Tescos drive all prices down. But I do mean in quality. It might be a psychological thing but the taste of local meat from a local butcher will always be to my taste.

As you said, lets hope he opens up again and gives all of you in Port St Mary the choice.

He was unable to negotiate a satisfactory new lease.

Tescos drive all prices down.

No they don't. Tesco might be convenient but they're not actually that cheap.

But I do mean in quality. It might be a psychological thing but the taste of local meat from a local butcher will always be to my taste.

It is psychological. Tescos (manx) meat seems to be of very good quality.

Cool a surf shop.

Now all you need is some surf...

But I do mean in quality. It might be a psychological thing but the taste of local meat from a local butcher will always be to my taste.

It is psychological. Tescos (manx) meat seems to be of very good quality.

It's reasonable quality but I'm not keen on the added dyes and increased water content.

this happened in Southeast of England about a decade ago - eg Guildford has no greengrocer,fishmonger or butchers shop (for a population of around 60,000) - the council allowed a permanent market stall for greengrocery, the butcher is a stall on the 2 day weekly market as is a fishmonger (provided by a one-time TT rider). However the same is true of France - many village bakeries seem to have closed in the last couple of years - I suspect the convenience of a weekly trip to the hypermarche + the ubiquitous deep freeze have removed much of the need of the daily shop (tho France still has the travelling butcher etc to supply the many isolated villages).

One thing I did note in my jaunts amongst the Scottish islands was that local butchers always announced the name of the farm supplying the various prime cuts - maybe a change of regulation by the IoM farmers could allow this - thus allowing some farms to aim for a premium market

Archived