Port St.mary Butchered

TomGlassey

The suspicious factor could begin with D, end with A and have AND in it somewhere

Do you really think that a volume housebuilder would be interested in a former butchers shop in Port St. Mary? I have my doubts about that one.

I don't know the butchers but it's always a shame when an established business closes, especially one that has provided good service. There could be any number of reasons for the business closing but I’m disappointed that no one else seems to have wished the new business good luck. Surfing may not be everyone’s thing, it’s not mine, but there must be a market for it or the business would not be setting up. Good luck to them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone that writes under a pseudonym such as The Bastard obviously has an extremely low opinion of themselves. John Corrin's butcher's has been in Port St. Mary for at least 14 years and I’m willing to bet that the diving shop is well confined to the history books before 14 years. I would have thought that any businessman worth his salt would prefer 14 years of stability, than a so-called quick buck made from a trendy whim that will probably last a year or so. As for Castletown being 5 minutes away, well yes it is, if you have a car. The trouble is though, what next. Douglas is only 20 minutes away once the Castletown shop closes. As for the people of Port St. Mary not supporting the shop, of course they did. How do you imagine he lasted for 14 years without the support of the local community? I bet the local community doesn’t support a diving shop for 14 years. However, I am sure there is another agenda here! The diving shop will prove to be no more than a stop gap, and only time will reveal what the real long term plan is.[/size]

So move the shop to an empty outlet, there's plenty there in Port St Mary, I was there today. What? He can't? Then the business is failing and not viable, that's what happens. Yes it's a pity but if they can't afford to exist they won't. You say it was supported by the local people, but obviously not by enough. Hidden agenda? Maybe the landlord is a better businessman than the butcher, his 'hidden agenda' must be making more economic sense to him.

We are bouyed by the fact that as a good butcher, he will be back on the scene again around October when he has had a holiday, as we know he has had several offers to consider since it became known he has had to close his business.

So all's well that ends well then, rendering the thread apocryphal.

We are bouyed by the fact that as a good butcher, he will be back on the scene again around October when he has had a holiday, as we know he has had several offers to consider since it became known he has had to close his business.

So all's well that ends well then, rendering the thread apocryphal.

We will have to see. It certainly won't be in his own business, but hopefully we will benefit from his services again if he takes up an offer in retail. Nothing is decided yet, just a few offers from different area's of the industry.

We will have to see. It certainly won't be in his own business, but hopefully we will benefit from his services again if he takes up an offer in retail. Nothing is decided yet, just a few offers from different area's of the industry.

Oh sorry, I didn't think you would be buoyed by the fact that as a good butcher he would be back on the scene again around October, but possibly as a lollipop man.

...not as low as the opinion I have of stuffy old farts who obviously don't use a business, but bleat like lambs on the way to the slaughterhouse when it goes under because they didn't use it.

It's a business, not a charity. If people actually used the butchers, it wouldn't go under. People don't, but then complain about the loss in the classic IOM "we fear change of any kind" mode.

If you've lost your butchers, the harsh reality is that it's your fault for not supporting it, not the fault of everyone else, Mrs. Thatcher, fiendish Surf Shop owners, machiavellian building firms etc. etc.

I'm a fair-minded person but I have a very low opinion of those who are so tiny-minded they can't see the wider view. So according to you the business is going under because a bunch of stuffy old farts didn't use it. Dear me, you REALLY do have a lot to learn, don't you, I mean, how could you possibly know that none of his customers were all of a certain age with a flatulance problem? And how do you know that the reason he's closing isn't down to the simple greed of the person who owns the lease? The words wind and pissing spring to mind here.

there should be more to life than vulgar profit.

I once heard it described in a seminar as "The scum that Thatcher spawned". It would seem they are alive and well and living in all sorts of odd corners...

Unfortunately one of Thatcher's legacies is that she made a virtue out of greed. Supported by the likes of those who are stupid enough to think that change is always a good thing. Morons.

Oh sorry, I didn't think you would be buoyed by the fact that as a good butcher he would be back on the scene again around October, but possibly as a lollipop man.

Do you know, I try to pick my words carefully so no-one can have a go and I always hate putting anything on the forum. Again, my fears have not been in vain. There is always some clever dick that will analyse ever friggin' comment and manage some sarcky remark.

Anyone that writes under a pseudonym such as The Bastard obviously has an extremely low opinion of themselves.

...not as low as the opinion I have of stuffy old farts who obviously don't use a business, but bleat like lambs on the way to the slaughterhouse when it goes under because they didn't use it.

It's a business, not a charity. If people actually used the butchers, it wouldn't go under. People don't, but then complain about the loss in the classic IOM "we fear change of any kind" mode.

If you've lost your butchers, the harsh reality is that it's your fault for not supporting it, not the fault of everyone else, Mrs. Thatcher, fiendish Surf Shop owners, machiavellian building firms etc. etc.

The fact that John Corrin has closed, has got nothing to do with charity over business or landlord against tenant. For whatever reason the landlord and tenant were unable to negotiate a new leasing agreement and I very much doubt that John would have wanted a long lease at his age. The fact is that Port St Mary looses its butcher. No one is blaming the landlord, and no one that I know resists change when it is for the better. Try telling Mrs Kelly she’s a stuffy old fart for resisting change and she should be grateful that she can now buy a bottle of oxygen instead of a pound of sausages! I feel sorry for the people of Port St. Mary, now they are guilty of that hideous crime of being too small. Good luck to the diving shop; we would simply have preferred that we had the diving shop as well as, rather than instead of. I am merely reflecting that it is a sad state of affairs the way our small communities around the Island are drifting. We use to have many small bakeries, butchers, fruit and veg shops and they are all disappearing. But then maybe you will be happy when Tesco and Ramsey bakery supply us all with everything. In John's case, he may reappear as a home delivery butcher within a few weeks, who knows! As a Manxman, I love our way of life and will do whatever I can to preserve it. I hate to see our small communities being turned in to ghost towns and not by the people that live there. It is speculators and developers that are trashing our small towns and villages. No, you can’t blame people from wanting to make a quick buck which is what our Government appears to want anyway. None-the-less, it is still sad that it has come to this. Of course like everyone else, I am going to have to live with it, but that does not mean I have to like it.

Exactly the point I was making. When shops, post offices, pubs etc close it's more than a loss to the local community. In lots of ways they ARE the local community. Because communities need focal points and without them they basically cease to exist.

This is what is happening. Tiny-minded morons think it's a good thing - God help us all...

Do you know, I try to pick my words carefully so no-one can have a go and I always hate putting anything on the forum. Again, my fears have not been in vain. There is always some clever dick that will analyse ever friggin' comment and manage some sarcky remark.

Isn't that what happens on forums when people post shaky arguments ? I suppose you could try writing your responses on a bit of paper and put it in a drawer somewhere, if you don't want people to comment on them.

I wonder if the Surf Shop ever went into financial difficulties, would you be defending it to the hilt then ? Or isn't it a local shop for local people (there's nothing for you here) ?

Strikes me that the whole reason behind this is that the business simply doesn't work. Having a local butcher at the end of the street might have worked in the 1950's when people didn't drive much and they had no other place to shop, but times and business models have changed. Obviously the people of PSM weren't that bothered about shopping there, or it'd still be open - ditto the local butchers that have closed everywhere else, despite people eating much more meat.

The credit crunch is no doubt going to see a lot of these hobby businesses knocked out. Shaky, fluffy business models are going to feel the pinch most of all.

It might not be "nice" to put it in terms of economics, but it's pretty straightforward : Businesses that don't make money go out of business.

I like to think I'm always capable of an appropriately sarcastic remark. Nothing personal though, lol,lol.. ; ))

What no one seems to have mentioned is that John's shop regularly had queues out of the door and, from having stood in the queues on many occasions, I know that people came from miles away for his meat. It certainly wasn't lack of local support which forced him to close. The short-termist, neo-Thatcherite comments on this thread are very sad. I am sure that a number of other local businesses will see a fall in trade because John has closed, and fewer people will now travel to PSM. There really IS a wider issue here - if we want small Manx communities like PSM to continue to be diverse and viable, we need to find a way to support small businesses like John's. Otherwise ... look over the water and see what happens - no small and individual shops, no Post Offices, no pubs ... dead villages! It's happening there and could happen here!

What no one seems to have mentioned is that John's shop regularly had queues out of the door and, from having stood in the queues on many occasions, I know that people came from miles away for his meat. It certainly wasn't lack of local support which forced him to close. The short-termist, neo-Thatcherite comments on this thread are very sad. I am sure that a number of other local businesses will see a fall in trade because John has closed, and fewer people will now travel to PSM. There really IS a wider issue here - if we want small Manx communities like PSM to continue to be diverse and viable, we need to find a way to support small businesses like John's. Otherwise ... look over the water and see what happens - no small and individual shops, no Post Offices, no pubs ... dead villages! It's happening there and could happen here!

So if there were queues, as you say, he must have been doing very well. Okay he can't renew his lease - but there are other places in Port St Mary, so if the business is so good that people will 'travel miles' for his meat, why not take on another premises? If the support was there - what is the problem apart from the lease?

Going on about neo-thatcherism is bollocks - I don't want to see this butcher close, just like the next man, just give me a good reason why he's closing apart from the lease.

You say in one breath they were supported and in the next breath, if we want small manx communities to be viable, that we need to find a way to support them. I do shop local and use as many small manx firms as possible, I like the personal touch, quality and it is a community thing, but this just seems to be some sour grapes aimed at the landlord.

Archived