[BBC News] Opinions sought on retail sector

Newsbot

I think traditional retail, ie shops stocking shelves and shelves of product that you walk in, pay for, and leave is in for a really rough ride. Most things I want it's easier to go on line and know that they'll be delivered in a day or two than it is to schedule a trip to the shop around my own work, find a park, look for what I want etc. Why would I do that if I can have it delieverd home for what is often less money?

Where stores can still survive is if they offer the customer something extra that they can't get on line. That can be a product, or more likely a service or level of knowledge, or a customer relationship.

I see a trip out shopping becoming more of a leisure activity, and the the day to day stuff being done on line. Shops will need to adjust the products they sell and services they offer to compete, and I believe that the succesful ones will be those who manage to build a loyal customer base, who see the shop as somewhere they can pop in for a browse and a chat without feeling like they have to buy something. (I'm aware that this only really applies to certain sectors. I am unlikely to wander into a newagent for a chat, and expect them to devote time to me on the off chance I may buy some mints)

If the shopkeeper manages to make this a pleasant experience then people will keep visiting and will evantually buy. If he doesn't, like most over here, then people will do what I do and buy nearly everything on line. In my case the exceptions are higher value goods where I have particular people I will go and see who I know will look after me. In those cases I don't mind paying the premium for a shop and a bit of service, but I object to paying a premium for something where I just wander in and pick it up off a shelf.

It wouldn't work for every business though, some shops do need to be open during the day and couldn't justify the cost of opening late nights.

There just isn't a model that will work for all retial outlets.

Doesn't have to be every day though. Even at Christmas its only once a week.

Douglas could have late night opening on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month, and the smaller towns the 2nd and 4th. Or something.

I think 'Gateways' refers to having focused points of entry to the street, rather than people being able to drift in from all over it? Or maybe it means making most of the entrances to Strand Street not side-streets?

Douglas could have late night opening on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month, and the smaller towns the 2nd and 4th. Or something.

Most people can't be arsed looking at a calendar - it would need to be e.g. every Thursday, so every one knew where they were.

personally, i don't count 'capers' as an every day item? if they had no bread or milk then i'd be whining. but haven't they just got planning permission to extend the shop?? perhaps they could have an international caper section just for you?

No need to invite me to dinner then. I stopped eating bread and milk when I was about six, and now have slightly wider culinary horizons.

But each to his own.

No need to invite me to dinner then. I stopped eating bread and milk when I was about six, and now have slightly wider culinary horizons.

But each to his own.

You don't eat bread or milk? ever? Tea/coffee, toast at breaksfast time? It is possible make make a wide variety of thinks which involve bread and/or milk. I like bread and milk and wish I was still 6.

But each to his own.

You don't eat bread or milk? ever? Tea/coffee, toast at breaksfast time? It is possible make make a wide variety of thinks which involve bread and/or milk. I like bread and milk and wish I was still 6.

I said I stopped eating bread and milk. I still eat bread, but never with milk, and I seldom drink milk in any form. Coffee and tea taste far nicer without.

Cream and butter, of course, are a different matter.

And I wouldn't mind being six again, but knowing what I know now. Sixteen, even more.

Flück me - just walked past an estate agent's and it's no wonder the retail sector is on its arse and has to charge loads in shops - space in tower house between 40 and 60k rent per year - how you're ever gonna make that back?

Link on BBC doesn't work.

Actual url is http://www.gov.im/dti/retail.xml

Report is in pdf (3314kb) a fair bit of which might reasonably be described as 'stating the bleeding obvious'

How much did that net the consultants?

I agree we don't need consultants to tell us that Douglas is the administrative capital or that most of the shops are tatty.

My opinion on the retail sector is that most of this sector sells complete crap that no-one should ever want or need. I don't do 'shoppin', I just buy what I actually do require, not what any advert 'tells me', and I certainly don't buy 'useless xmas presents that no-one ever wants' or presents for 'Hallmark card days' they invent which represents nearly 50% of their annual business. The retail sector is the biggest waste of space and waste of world resources humanity has ever created. If we stopped buying crap, we would have plenty of oil left.

There, it needed saying, so I said it :lol:

Well said.

Live the simple life and stay at home to enjoy your garden rather than trolling up and down Strand Street.

Report is in pdf (3314kb) a fair bit of which might reasonably be described as 'stating the bleeding obvious'

How much did that net the consultants?

There is some good stuff in there, but it's very broad and light on specific actions. I like the point about encouraging residential in the town centre combined with retail.

A few years ago they brought over an expert to talk about 'Living above the Shop' initiatives to bring people back into town centres.

He spoke in the Villa Marina and people seemed to be interested.

But nothing camw from it

And lordy, I agree with Albert. I hate the way people are encouraged to buy things they don't need. 2 for 1 is particularly wasteful.

Archived