Compensation

bluemonday

Ladies and gentlemen, let’s play the Compensation Game. In front of you are pictures of three people. One broke his leg. One was raped. One was falsely accused of murder. Each received compensation. Now, your starter for 10: is it fair that one got £4.5m, one got £11,000 and the third got £706,000?

Article at Times online

One had his promising career ruined by a senseless act of violence. Potential earnings £Millions

One was abused in the vilest way while remaining completely anonymous. Potential earnings, unaffected.

One has had his life blighted by vicious slurs against him and an attempt to entrap him. Potential earnings, unemployable.

Another shot in the head 5 times and killed ruthlessly while being totally innocent, no charge.

As you seem to think it's all about money I thought I'd have my twopenny worth.

It's like the bloke afew years back who slipped in the shower and injured his ankle in some way while in prison, got given £1450 in copensation; more than the £800 he paid to the family of the girl he was in prison for murdering. Strikes me as an odd pricing, i'm sure she had ankles.

What a stupid article!

No one doubts that being raped is worse than breaking your leg, that isn't what the compensation is about, yes £11 grand is feck all for that but then would any amount of money be "enough"?

the 4.5m is probably nothing compared to what the lad could have made with a successful football career.

Stupid unrelated incidents put together with the sole aim of inciting an emotional reaction.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a weird thing to have arbitrary monetary values attached to any form of loss. When I am filling in CICA forms for my clients it just seems peculiar, almost inhuman in a way, to see all these different amounts in pounds given for every type of injury. Obviously if the government has to have a compensation scheme it also has to set these amounts but the pain and suffering caused by an criminal attack can't be truly given a monetary value. Though from looking through the booklet it does seem like the figures do seem proportionate, maybe even fair, depending on what type of injury has occurred.

Archived