Shipping Containers

bluemonday

Sure they did something similar ten or more years ago when there was another jail crisis and had a floating prison made from containers. There is also a modular hotel builder who've been around for several years that I know of, where they use the same principle. Even most MacDonalds are built in a modular way.

Good use of containers though.

Even most MacDonalds are built in a modular way.

A McDonalds was built about 100 yards from a place that I lived across. They cleared the site, built the car park and foundations, which took about a month, and then brought the buildings in two pieces on the back of a truck, lifted them into place and bolted them together, which took a day.

About 8 years later it burnt down so they bulldozed the remains and shipped a new one in.

I remember hearing about this one on Canary Wharf ages ago and I'm sure there was talk of similar buildings in Manchester by the docks. It's a clever idea (although the Canary Wharf one does look hideous, although that's mainly the colours) and certainly a solution to low-cost housing. I wouldn't object to living in one.

http://www.themovechannel.com/sitefeatures...cological11.asp

It's a step up from Japanese capsule hotels - at least you get en suite facilities.

(You could get quite a few capsules in each container)

clicky

"The guest space is reduced in size to a modular plastic or fiberglass block roughly 2 m by 1 m by 1.25 m, providing room to sleep. Facilities range in entertainment offerings (most include a television, an electronic console, and wireless internet connection). These capsules are stacked side by side and two units top to bottom, with steps providing access to the second level rooms. Luggage is stored in a locker, usually somewhere outside of the hotel. Privacy is ensured by a curtain or a fibreglass door at the open end of the capsule. Washrooms are communal and most hotels include restaurants, or at least vending machines, pools, and other entertainment facilities."

Archived