[BBC News] Freedom of Douglas for Cavendish

Newsbot

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yip Yip Yipee. For f**ks sake, the man won 4 stages of the TDF.

And might have come back from China with a medal if he'd been teamed up with someone else.

Couldn't they have come up with a bit more than that - something from the gov, not the corpy?

How about giving him Peter Kennaugh as a riding partner for the Madison in London in 2012 and the resources to enable them both to have access to world class training facilities on the Isle of Man so they can be at the top of their game?!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Olympi...cle_265719.html

Maybe we could attract other cycling teams to train on the Isle of Man in the run up to the next Olympics...

How about giving him Peter Kennaugh as a riding partner for the Madison in London in 2012 and the resources to enable them both to have access to world class training facilities on the Isle of Man so they can be at the top of their game?!

I'm pretty sure that the members of the GB cycling squad will have access to world class training facilities.

Because British cycling is based in Manchester where they already have a velodrome?

In fairness, there isn't a whole lot the Corporation can do. (anytime)

I've heard rumours of a 'Cavendish Way' though...

I think the young man is a really ace cyclist but, that is all he is, I think the freedom of Douglas is a nice & suiting gesture. Maybe an open top bus ride around Douglas and Laxey when he returns, it would be quite fun to see the people on the streets cheering (ofc this would have to be an approved gathering, what with all the anti-terrorism by-laws and the like). I'm sure over the coming years they'll win loads more races and pass on their skills to other budding cyclists in a training capacity, it would be a shame if there were no more honors for him to receive.

Anyway! stuff that team GB lot, we should have our own place in the Olympics. "The Isle of Man, going like the clappers", hey we could even have that clap like bang song for the promotional video - genius idea, we also have gymnasts, swimmers, runners, boxers, we might be a little short on high board divers but I volunteer a couple of the MHKs to give it a try. :D

Government posters proclaiming, "Watch Out China...Here Comes The Manx" with a picture of Cav's mug on it...HSBC take over Bar George for the 10.30am start for the top jollies and esteemed clients to watch him come joint 8th.

A fitting tribute to someone who thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to bag a gold medal.

Fair play - he did well in the Tour de France but he clearly isn't as good as he thinks, and it was about time he was pulled down a peg or two. He's become too confident to the point of becoming arrogant.

Archived