[BBC News] Freedom of Douglas for Cavendish

Newsbot

Government posters proclaiming, "Watch Out China...Here Comes The Manx" with a picture of Cav's mug on it...HSBC take over Bar George for the 10.30am start for the top jollies and esteemed clients to watch him come joint 8th.

A fitting tribute to someone who thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to bag a gold medal.

Fair play - he did well in the Tour de France but he clearly isn't as good as he thinks, and it was about time he was pulled down a peg or two. He's become too confident to the point of becoming arrogant.

And how are you related to Keyboarder?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair play - he did well in the Tour de France but he clearly isn't as good as he thinks, and it was about time he was pulled down a peg or two. He's become too confident to the point of becoming arrogant.

i'm not a huge fan of cyclists, but i don't think Mark himself has been spouting off about what he will and won't do and how good he is. i blame the hangers on and the supporters along with the local spin doctors for the 'Gold in the bag' crap which he couldn't deliver on the day.

Fair play - he did well in the Tour de France but he clearly isn't as good as he thinks, and it was about time he was pulled down a peg or two.

Yeah, that's right, he only won four stages of the tinpot Tour de France - he's got too cocky for his own good and should be cut down to size.....right?

Have you heard yourself? I really hope you're not Manx; you make me feel disgusted.

Government posters proclaiming, "Watch Out China...Here Comes The Manx" with a picture of Cav's mug on it...HSBC take over Bar George for the 10.30am start for the top jollies and esteemed clients to watch him come joint 8th.

A fitting tribute to someone who thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to bag a gold medal.

He won four stages of the Tour, which is about as good as it gets for a sprinter. Confidence and arrogance are necessary to be that good at a tough sport. But it wasn't Mark Cavendish who made up the posters, or said it was a "foregone conclusion", or booked Bar George to entertain clients on the back of his success.

i'm not a huge fan of cyclists, but i don't think Mark himself has been spouting off about what he will and won't do and how good he is. i blame the hangers on and the supporters along with the local spin doctors for the 'Gold in the bag' crap which he couldn't deliver on the day.

Cav did really well, he was going for the points, but Wiggins couldn't complete the attack. Unfortunate for Cav that he was paired with Wiggins who was clearly buggered.

Here they come...

post-1130-1219221687_thumb.jpg

It's a good job I'm not an ace sports person. If I won a gold medal at the Olympics, I'd find it a bit odd having 'god save the queen' played for my victory. I wonder if the Scottish and Welsh victors feel the same?

OOOh, look. A Manx crab on a bicycle. If Nike think he's the fastest sprinter in the world, I know who's judgement I'm going on.

And did he ask the loons-that-be to produce that cringeworty poster ? Er...NOPE...

...GOMH*...

...PS the bar George bit is semi-amusing...assuming it's true, though...

'He is good' and by the majority of people responding to your trollish remark, they think so too. His co rider was shattered from previous events and unfortunately Mark didn't gain the recognition he deserved after all his efforts throughout the year. He can hold his head up high though and be proud of his achievements so far.

Am I right in saying that the peak age for sprint riders is 30? If so, then there's faster times to come yet :thumbsup:

I found something from You Tube, but it's not in Manx or English :o

Well done Mark and I'm sure that there's one or two celebrations coming your way

Edit: found another link

It's a good job I'm not an ace sports person. If I won a gold medal at the Olympics, I'd find it a bit odd having 'god save the queen' played for my victory. I wonder if the Scottish and Welsh victors feel the same?

Possibly you are unaware that the Queen is queen of Scotland and Wales, too. And the IOM, for that matter. And that God Save The Queen is the British national anthem, as well as being, at one time, the national anthem of about a quarter of the nations of the world.

When British athletes play in the Olympics, they are playing as Britons, not as little Englanders, wily Welshmen, scheming Scots, idle Irish or manky Manxmen.

Possibly you are unaware that the Queen is queen of Scotland and Wales, too. And the IOM, for that matter. And that God Save The Queen is the British national anthem, as well as being, at one time, the national anthem of about a quarter of the nations of the world.

When British athletes play in the Olympics, they are playing as Britons, not as little Englanders, wily Welshmen, scheming Scots, idle Irish or manky Manxmen.

Which would all be well and good if we were part of Great Britain. They have to bend the rules a little to allow Manxies in the British team. Possibly you are unaware of that. My original post was meant in more of a jovial fashion than you seem to have taken it. Feel free to keep on pigeon holing the characteristics of different nationalities, though.

Here they come...

post-1130-1219221687_thumb.jpg

Hey! Its Christmas for us crabs down in Port Erin!!

Archived