[BBC News] Freedom of Douglas for Cavendish

Newsbot

Possibly you are unaware that the Queen is queen of Scotland and Wales, too. And the IOM, for that matter. And that God Save The Queen is the British national anthem, as well as being, at one time, the national anthem of about a quarter of the nations of the world.

When British athletes play in the Olympics, they are playing as Britons, not as little Englanders, wily Welshmen, scheming Scots, idle Irish or manky Manxmen.

Should really be Team UK then, and not Team GB which by definition leaves out Norn Iron

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a good job I'm not an ace sports person. If I won a gold medal at the Olympics, I'd find it a bit odd having 'god save the queen' played for my victory. I wonder if the Scottish and Welsh victors feel the same?

Possibly you are unaware that the Queen is queen of Scotland and Wales, too. And the IOM, for that matter. And that God Save The Queen is the British national anthem, as well as being, at one time, the national anthem of about a quarter of the nations of the world.

When British athletes play in the Olympics, they are playing as Britons, not as little Englanders, wily Welshmen, scheming Scots, idle Irish or manky Manxmen.

Which would all be well and good if we were part of Great Britain. They have to bend the rules a little to allow Manxies in the British team. Possibly you are unaware of that. My original post was meant in more of a jovial fashion than you seem to have taken it. Feel free to keep on pigeon holing the characteristics of different nationalities, though.

I'm pretty sure that we are part of Britain.....just not of the UK.

It's a good job I'm not an ace sports person. If I won a gold medal at the Olympics, I'd find it a bit odd having 'god save the queen' played for my victory. I wonder if the Scottish and Welsh victors feel the same?

Possibly you are unaware that the Queen is queen of Scotland and Wales, too. And the IOM, for that matter.

No she bleeding well is NOT ! There is no Queen of the Isle of Man ! And no stupid comments regarding QUEERS please!

Who decides these things? Let me be in charge, then we can be part of the moon.

Geoff Higensly-Bottomly Smyth

22 Acacia Avenue

Burnley

Lancs

BL2 4EP

United Kingdom

Europe

The World

The Solar System

The Milky Way Galaxy

The Known Universe

Write to him....

[i'm pretty sure that we are part of Britain.....just not of the UK.

Definitions Nope.

I stand corrected.

Interesting letter in the Times last week said that team GB should be renamed team UK so as not to disenfranchise the people of Northern Island. A follow up letter the next day from an IOM resident stated that team UK would not be inclusive of the IOM. Which is true of both terms.

better definitions (IMO) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_(terminology)

[i'm pretty sure that we are part of Britain.....just not of the UK.

Definitions Nope.

I stand corrected.

Interesting letter in the Times last week said that team GB should be renamed team UK so as not to disenfranchise the people of Northern Island. A follow up letter the next day from an IOM resident stated that team UK would not be inclusive of the IOM. Which is true of both terms.

better definitions (IMO) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_(terminology)

I never knew 'British Islands' excluded the Republic of Ireland but 'British Isles' included it!

Is there any way you could exclude Northern Ireland - so there could be a united Ireland team - but include the other 'British Islands' nations? ..!

Apparently in practice, athletes from Northern Ireland who also hold Irish citizenship under the pre-1999 article 2 of the Irish constitution can be selected to represent either Great Britain or Ireland at the Olympics. Some British overseas territories compete separately from Britain. But presumably all 'Crown Dependencies' are part of 'Team GB'...?

'Great Britain and the Crown Dependencies'? GBCD... or GBCD+partNI... hmmm. :unsure:

Possibly you were unaware that the IOM does not have a "Queen". Constitutionally the English Queen is Lord of Mann which just proves you're talking completely through your arse on that one.

Britons? That is course meaning British people - i.e people of British ethnicity - those being citizens of the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, or of one of the British overseas territories.

Therefore somebody from Wales can represent Britain as they are UK citizens they are still, however, Welsh by birth (ie. born in Wales). Yet again what a load of irrelevant factually incorrect crap you have posted.

How about giving him Peter Kennaugh as a riding partner for the Madison in London in 2012 and the resources to enable them both to have access to world class training facilities on the Isle of Man so they can be at the top of their game?!

I'm pretty sure that the members of the GB cycling squad will have access to world class training facilities.

OK. But that wouldn't stop the other suggestion - making Manx sports facilities available to other nations to carry out pre-2012 games training. NSC and other facilities could be made available to other island teams (eg Caribbean participants?) to help them train and prepare for the games. After all its only a 1 hour flight to London city airport...

OK. But that wouldn't stop the other suggestion - making Manx sports facilities available to other nations to carry out pre-2012 games training. NSC and other facilities could be made available to other island teams (eg Caribbean participants?) to help them train and prepare for the games. After all its only a 1 hour flight to London city airport...

I think that's a very good idea.

I think that's a very good idea.

Done

http://www.gov.im/lib/news/tourism/london2012sprega.xml

Archived