[BBC News] Triumph for Stormy Sea photograph

Newsbot

The photograph was taken by the oldest member of the photographic society, Barbara Spiers who joined in 1962.

Ms Spiers said: "Some people believe that the camera does all the work these days with advances in digital photography, but in fact it is the person behind the camera who needs to have the ability to see that perfect shot. A good photographer needs an artistic temperament, creativity and patience."

That may well be Ms Spiers but IMHO the picture, lacks composition, looks plain and is just simply another picture of Douglas on a stormy day. It doesn't "wow" me like a good picture should, 35mm or not. Sorry just my opinion.

I agree.

Theres nothing in the foreground. Theres nothing leading my eye into the photo either

Theres nothing interesting in the photo at all.

Maybe the other photos on display were of blades of grass or something?

If this was sent into digital photo mag for critique, it would be ripped to pieces.

According to the story it was a 'public vote', not a critics choice.

Not having been to the exhibition, it is impossible to judge whether this is indeed the best photo on display, but I agree with the previous posters - it is a bit ordinary. You just have to go down the Prom on a windy day at high tide, and you could get something similar with a throw away camera (though probably poorer resolution).

If that's the general standard, though, I'll have to dig out some of mine :)

Sometimes the best photos are just true representations of something.

It is too easy to try to better your photos by reading too much. Reading any digital camera mag, or web site, and you will soon by tied in knots. Burning, dodging, saturation, sharpness, are just a few. Then there is the available light. Only take photos at dawn or dusk as the light is better. I could go on.

Sometimes it is just best to forget about composition, light, and just take the damn photo.

Certainly worked for this one.

Rab

Archived