[BBC News] Town shops to get government help

Newsbot

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Independent retailers in Ramsey are to be offered advice and support to help develop their businesses.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7574543.stm

Ramsey shopkeeps...

'Nip out quick and nick bits off the pier and sell it for nostalgia or scrap before it get's pulled down.'

'Encourage your customers to bring their dustbins into your shop - so that you can see which items they have recently run out of, and offer to replace them.'

'Avoid hiring unlucky people to work in your shop - by immediately tossing half the CVs into the bin.'

'Make visitors to your shop welcome, simply by keeping a few accessories handy behind the counter, for example a piece of coal, so if the customer is a Welsh visitor you can quickly put coal dust behind your ears, talk gibberish and sing all the time. Do the same if it's a scot, but instead of the coal, have a few swigs from a bottle of whiskey before talking gibberish and singing'.

'Get your assistant to dangle fish on a bit of string in front of your windows just after a customer has entered the shop. This way the customer will think the shop is underwater and won't leave in a hurry'.

Just reading that BBC article you know how successful the initiative will be.

Yes its helping "shop owners achieve their full potential". In English that's helping them sell stuff isn't it? They can't help using the typical MBA-style bullshit speak that keeps consultants in employment.

Yes all they need is do is leverage a pro-active paradigm shift of empowerment for themselves through a dynamic viral campaign of social immersion.

That'll be £250,000 please

Fuck right off.

Stock stuff that people want to buy....

First thing I would do is get Shoprite looking more presentable. Co-op's OK, mustn't grumble there, but Shoprite really needs a re-think.

The only reason I head off to Douglas is for B&Q otherwise Ramsey's OK for shopping, just not a pretty place to look at while wandering down Parliament street in search of a pie in the morning.

First thing I would do is get Shoprite looking more presentable. Co-op's OK, mustn't grumble there, but Shoprite really needs a re-think.

The thing I have noticed, going back and forward to the UK a lot, is how tatty manx foodstuff packaging generally is compared to what you see in the UK. Lots of it looks really naff (especially meat packaging) - and could do with a proper professional makeover. The cheese packaging doesn't look too bad when you see it on shelves across, amongst the other 311 cheeses you can buy there.

Independent retailers in Ramsey are to be offered advice and support to help develop their businesses.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7574543.stm

and make it cheaper than douglas and the internet. lets face it, it's the ramsey folks not shopping in ramsey that shop in douglas because they want a larger choice. there are more shops, bigger shops, and a greater choice of product. if there was a large ( douglas sized ) M&S, tesco, boots, B&Q and woolies in ramsey then they wouldn't go to douglas. but these big chains KNOW that a tidley island only needs ONE branch, and where do you put your one branch?? the biggest town. it's not just ramsey, it's the same for peel and port erin. expensive glorified flea markets.

in a word "internet"

Most retailers are moving more into web based shops nowadays than high street.

So why not have local shops with an online shop that gives a delivery service on the island?

Most people are so busy that finding time to look around the shops is hard, hence the rise of the supermarket.

Sounds like pouring petrol on the fire so to speak

I see this as a positive step, I for one won't be knocking it.

Rather than ignoring the problem, something is being done about it, which I fully support.

Maybe but I'd suggest the transport, parking and pedestrianisation needs looking at.

OK telling retailers how to boost business but if the hassle is too much, people won't bother coming from elsewhere.

I see this as a positive step, I for one won't be knocking it.

Rather than ignoring the problem, something is being done about it, which I fully support.

Maybe but I'd suggest the transport, parking and pedestrianisation needs looking at.

OK telling retailers how to boost business but if the hassle is too much, people won't bother coming from elsewhere.

Yes indeed. The government's real role in this should be to look at all of this strategically: in terms of planning, infrastructure etc. etc. - not to simply throw a marketing consultant at a few shops to offer them advice (though I'm sure that is welcome).

Archived