[BBC News] Town shops to get government help

Newsbot

That's all well and good but if we can't get stuff delivered in the first place we'd have nothing to sell.

I'm not against the idea, it just needs to be done right.

It's the same with the parking, if you're going to take all of the spaces in the street away, you need to replace them and the best way for that (least amount of land used) is a small multi-storey carpark.

Well we live in Ramsey and we'd rather drive to Douglas, park in a proper car park, and do our shopping down a proper pedestrian area, and use proper crossings to get over the roads where we need to.

Ramsey is an effing nightmare on foot, especially if you've got a pram to push like we have. Add in the fact that delivery drivers/post office/locals think nothing of parking illegally and blocking the narrow pavements at will that Ramsey does actually have, coupled with everyone knowing full well when the traffic warden is likely to be around (i.e. when not to give a crap) - and we've got to the point where we just say bollocks to it, and drive to Douglas, even for the most trivial of shopping trips.

I really don't understand why people seem to think that putting their hazard lights on makes it acceptable to block a pavement and force people into the road just to get from one shop to another.

Ramsey needs a viable, relatively high capacity car park, a stone's throw from Parliament Street. It's all very well having parking on the street, but it makes the area itself pretty dangerous for pedestrians. I've seen old dears who clearly can't see properly, reverse park into a space, and mount the pavement by quite some margin, and a pedestrian having to jump out of the way to avoid being hit.

That ain't a nice place to shop!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly - two choices, either provide the facilities for people to visit or stay as it is.

For the latter, to misquote field of dreams, they will NOT come.

The thing I find extrordinary is that in a survey this week the IOM comes out as having one of the highest credit card debt levels in the whole British Isles

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/dealing-with-..._id=62&ct=5

If the retail sector is dead and needs such desparate support where is this money being spent? Obviously not here. Or more worryingly if it is being spent here and the retail industry is still on its arse we have real problems to come!

The thing I find extrordinary is that in a survey this week the IOM comes out as having one of the highest credit card debt levels in the whole British Isles

Localyokel if you read the 'fine print' this is a survey of:

'problem debtors' - those who have sought professional help over their borrowing'

It is not a survey of overall credit card debt level. But it does make you wonder how on earth the people with bad debt problems here have been allowed to run them up to an average of £36,538. Excellent bank support for debtaholics. They will be starting to realise that what the banks call a 'credit' card is for individuals in fact a 'high-interest debt' card.

I don't think it does - these figures are for those who have sort out professional help, not average debt per head of population.

Given the Island's relatively small population and the fact that the data is taken from only those who contacted ClearDebt there may be so few seeking help that the figures are not statistically reliable.

It is not a survey of overall credit card debt level.

I fully understand that but the debt/income Ratio for the IOM is 602% its higher than anywhere else. Yes it is only a survey of people who have asked for help but if you look at unemployment stats slowly rising how many more are going to ask for help over the next 12 months? You can't say that its not a true reflection until a trend emerges or not.

However I agree with you as to how the hell can anyone be stupid enough to be in that deep.

I'd take that survey with a pinch of salt, and not likely to be representative of the general picture.

"This data has been captured from 9,600 people who were really worried about their debts; collated from a comprehensive, financial survey on the ClearDebt debt resolution website from respondents concerned enough about their debt situation to be seeking debt advice."

I'd take that survey with a pinch of salt, and not likely to be representative of the general picture.

the easy algorithm is to divide any 'uk' figure by 1000 thus all it took was 10 Manxies to see their credit card statement after booking a summer hols getaway on the Racket

And given that it's not a Manx outfit I would say the number using it is much less than 10.

And given that it's not a Manx outfit I would say the number using it is much less than 10.

I'd guess that due to the embarrassment factor and the terrible lack of discretion often exercised over here people are actually more likely to seek debt advice off Island than on. You're not going to seek help if your friends wife's brother works in the same office or drinks in the same pub as the person you'll be speaking to - you'll pick up the phone and ring an 0800 number or go on the Net and speak with someone in the UK.

OK...could the person with £36,538 of credit card debt own up as you're giving us a bad name!

I wouldn't be surprised to find that senior management at the DOT have been secretly buying up retail space in Ramsey

So that when they have accomplished their mission of making Douglas a no-go area for motorists, Ramsey will be the new destination of choice for shoppers

I agree with the multi storey car park idea, people find it hard to get parked in ramsey, come pension day forget it, as we all know the north see's a mass migration on a friday to the post office and supermarkets.

The reason ramsey retail is dying is because its just charity shops and take aways and supermarkets.

If you got rid of supermarkets we would have streets full of shops thats why the streets are dying.

Archived