Babcock & Brown

manshimajin

The thing I don't like though is China's up and coming superpower status. Currently the world's largest navy is Chinese - now why would that be?

P.K. that is simply not true. For example China doesn't have a full scale aircraft carrier and is still really only a green water navy - it was a brown water fleet a generation a go, its green now, and definitely does have blue water ambitions, but that is still years away.

World's largest navy - nope. Fastest growing? Maybe, but from a low base. The first circumnavigation by a Chinese Navy ship was completed only a few years ago - it is doubtful they'd even have control over the Taiwan strait at the moment - that is a source of deep National shame and they are working to change it.

That is concerning and there is an on going change in the strategic balance between the US and China, but its still only potential and not actual.

Managing that change will be vital if conflict is to be avoided and both sides are aware of the dilemma; they just don't know how to resolve it!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing I don't like though is China's up and coming superpower status. Currently the world's largest navy is Chinese - now why would that be?

P.K. that is simply not true. For example China doesn't have a full scale aircraft carrier and is still really only a green water navy - it was a brown water fleet a generation a go, its green now, and definitely does have blue water ambitions, but that is still years away.

That is concerning and there is an on going change in the strategic balance between the US and China, but its still only potential and not actual.

I stand corrected - or do I? I can't remember my source (possibly the time-honoured and totally trustworthy "bloke in pub") so where are you getting your gen from?

The Chinese have ambitions, they view things on different timescales to us "quick buck" westerners and they don't seem to give a toss about military losses, but then their human stockpile is enormous. But somehow I don't see me applying for Taiwanese citizenship some time soon...

I stand corrected - or do I? I can't remember my source (possibly the time-honoured and totally trustworthy "bloke in pub") so where are you getting your gen from?

Getting data isn't particularly easy - Wiki (pinch of salt) has this which accords pretty well with what I've studied - China has no aircraft carriers, or cruisers, but lots of Destroyers and Corvettes.

The figure you've probably seen is manpower - I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've got millions of people, but that doesn't stand for much - the equipment available can quickly even odds, though I very much agree with you about China's potential and ability to take huge casualties.

I think even the most hardened dictator would hesitate before unleashing mass murder on the world - revenge is a nasty dish and it is highly likely you'd recieve it hot if you'd premtively used nukes.

I'd like to think so.

The worry is of a nuke-equipped dictator facing a humiliating defeat. Just watched 'House of Saddam' drama/doc series (I appreciate that there was probably SOME artistic licence used) but if you're on the run and living in a hole in the ground facing almost certain capture and execution by your sworn enemies, it would take very little to press the Forkem Hall button...

I'd like to think so.

The worry is of a nuke-equipped dictator facing a humiliating defeat. Just watched 'House of Saddam' drama/doc series (I appreciate that there was probably SOME artistic licence used) but if you're on the run and living in a hole in the ground facing almost certain capture and execution by your sworn enemies, it would take very little to press the Forkem Hall button...

Assuming, that is, that in addition to the Ventaxia, the nuke button is also installed in said hole in ground.

Archived