[BBC News] New security features to tax disc

Newsbot

And while they are at it can they make it so that the 12 months actually runs from the date you paid the tax.

Why? If your tax disc runs out on the last day of the month, and you get a new one on the 1st day of the following month, you get 12 full months before you have to buy a new one.

Since there is no 2 weeks grace, the date you pay should be the date it runs out.

And while they are at it can they make it so that the 12 months actually runs from the date you paid the tax.

Why? If your tax disc runs out on the last day of the month, and you get a new one on the 1st day of the following month, you get 12 full months before you have to buy a new one.

Since there is no 2 weeks grace, the date you pay should be the date it runs out.

well not really, becuase if u have taken something off the road to fix at the end of the tax year, and it sits for say 2 months 2 weeks b4 u get round to getting it back on the road, then when u come to tax it u lose 2 weeks worth of tax, unless u wait till the end of the month

well not really, becuase if u have taken something off the road to fix at the end of the tax year, and it sits for say 2 months 2 weeks b4 u get round to getting it back on the road, then when u come to tax it u lose 2 weeks worth of tax, unless u wait till the end of the month

Ahh, see what you mean Gazza, yes put the whole date on not just the month end. How hard would that be. :rolleyes:

For the occassionaly times that ppl have cars off the road for a lenghty period of time, and average tax of 104 pounds a years, is 4 pounds worth of tax that big an issue? Get 'round' to fixing it 2 weeks faster ;)

Allegedly the eyesight of traffic wardens is not brilliant, and taking in extra information such as exact dates might lead to brain overload, and subsequent sick leave.

Damn, I can be a right argumentative git sometimes, I do actually agree with you, but I know what the Government would say.

Ahh, see what you mean Gazza, yes put the whole date on not just the month end. How hard would that be. :rolleyes:

My guess is that monthly discs are historical, from the days before the IT systems we have now, and long before they could be printed in-house, so were printed in batches and heavy with admin. However, if they print them themselves they could add the date, but, you also have to ask who they are really designed for - i.e. not us, but for coppers and others to see from a distance. I suppose it would be easy to go for Week No/Year e.g. 27/08, but I think the more info on them the less you will see at a distance or in a passing cop car, giving higher risks of there being unlicensed drivers getting away with it.

When I went to renew my Bike tax a little while ago. I was told that if the bike was off road, then it didn't need to be taxed until I was ready to put it back on the road again and that the tax would run from that date and wouldn't be backdated.

New security features to tax disc

How exciting.

How wonderful.

Bin Laden and his army of darkness will never win now.

What I mean is: last year I bought a car from the UK, picked it up on the Saturday taxed it over here on the Monday - the date was the 23 October 2007 - the tax runs out at the end of September 2008.

What I mean is: last year I bought a car from the UK, picked it up on the Saturday taxed it over here on the Monday - the date was the 23 October 2007 - the tax runs out at the end of September 2008.

Yup, in that case, I would have waited a week.

When I went to renew my Bike tax a little while ago. I was told that if the bike was off road, then it didn't need to be taxed until I was ready to put it back on the road again and that the tax would run from that date and wouldn't be backdated.

Correct. When you put it back on the road and tax it again, there is a question something like "If the start date is not consecutive with the end of the previous tax, has the vehicle been used on a public road in the meantime?". If you answer yes, they backdate it to the last disc, if no (repairs etc) then they issue it from when you apply.

Longest you can leave it untaxed is 2 years without having to put the vehicle through its Manx test though (no, that's not a test to find out if it likes eating chips, cheese & gravy, and loves seagulls & saying 'yessir').

In the UK you can pay for the extra number of days until the month end so you get the full 12 months benefit of the tax. It wouldn't be so difficult to do the same here.

It's something that annoys me very slightly, but with the cost of buying a car anyway the extra tenner or whatever I've just "lost" doesn't matter anyway.

Archived