Pc Update

bluemonday

Cheese and pickle with salad and bread can be great. So call it "cheese and pickle with salad and bread".

Calling it ploughman's lunch is sort of olde worlde pretentious (like fake beams or horse brasses *) - which is why nobody uses that name anymore. Except (I'm guessing) some pub, perhaps in Essex, with fake beams and horse brasses). As if it were somehow traditional.

And it really was invented by marketing men.

It's interesting how certain meals come in and out of fashion. Remember the 1970s pub version of that classic 1960s starter, the prawn cocktail ? I used to work for a pub landlady who used to make the marie rose sauce by mixing ketchup and salad cream.

* or old lobster pots and bits of fishing nets if it is near the sea (- I got that from an old Derek Cooper article btw)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always thought that political correctness has more often than not been adopted with good sense. It removes oppressive language that really should not be used, if you remove the language then you change the way people think about things too. I think both the cases of 'man on the street' and the red ink thing do make sense, but I don't they are any big deal. This is the problem because the media whip up the frenzy by pretending that the council or schools are making this a big drive or campaign as if it matters a great deal. I mean, the council guide on 'man on the street' included lots of other phrases and not just this one and it is not a phrase that is used that often anyway.

Cheese and pickle with salad and bread can be great. So call it "cheese and pickle with salad and bread".

Calling it ploughman's lunch is sort of olde worlde pretentious (like fake beams or horse brasses *) - which is why nobody uses that name anymore. Except (I'm guessing) some pub, perhaps in Essex, with fake beams and horse brasses). As if it were somehow traditional.

And it really was invented by marketing men.

It's interesting how certain meals come in and out of fashion. Remember the 1970s pub version of that classic 1960s starter, the prawn cocktail ? I used to work for a pub landlady who used to make the marie rose sauce by mixing ketchup and salad cream.

* or old lobster pots and bits of fishing nets if it is near the sea (- I got that from an old Derek Cooper article btw)

I think you're getting a bit hung up on the name, Pongo. I don't deny that "ploughman's lunch" was made up by the marketing boys, but it's not pretentious, like "Marie Rose" sauce. The latter, by the way, is an excellent indicator that you are in an inferior establishment.

S

Archived