[BBC News] Garages 'tested' with faulty cars

Newsbot

I'd like to reply to this topic but the letters I need aren't in stock and I can't get any question marks till next week.

A good initiative providing the faults are in areas which are covered by the service being carried out. Some services are not that comprehensive these days.

As a rule, the OFT provide faults that even a relatively unskilled DIY mechanic should find with the assistance of the "routine maintenance" section of a Haynes manual. If a garage neglects to cover at least this much they deserve to be shot.

A good initiative providing the faults are in areas which are covered by the service being carried out. Some services are not that comprehensive these days.

As a rule, the OFT provide faults that even a relatively unskilled DIY mechanic should find with the assistance of the "routine maintenance" section of a Haynes manual. If a garage neglects to cover at least this much they deserve to be shot.

I really depends on what the Customer has agreed to have carried out, I remember during my apprentiship the garage I worked for had a bit of trouble with one customer as in he brought a vehicle in for a 'Full Service ', Ok not a problem you think,

I brought the vehicle into the workshop inspected the service booklet to see the service history and decided what was required, once agreeed with the service manager I then rasied the car on the ramp changing the fluids that was required by the service sheet ,then I removed the wheels and visually inspected brakes but found that they had worn below the safe recommended limit by the manufacturer, we then tried to contact the customer but could not get through, so it was decided at the time that it was a safety issue it was best to replace them and continue with the rest of the Major service as set by the manufactuer, at the end of the day the customer returns to collect his vehicle and is told how much the bill will be due to extra expence in the brake parts and he totally freaks out screaming and shouting that we had stitched him up and spent money that was not required,this is now where it get a bit hazey as i was not party to the settlement, but he got the OFT involved saying he had been overcharged they looked into what work was carried and even though it was a safety related and the wear exceeded the manufactuers limits OFT said the garage was in the wrong and sided with him so he did not have to pay the full bill,

I often wonder what the out come would be now in the current health and safety flurry,

would you.....

(A) go ahead and fit the required parts even if you cannot contact the customer, with the prospect of not getting payed for the work required

(B) not fit the parts and inform the customer on collection and let them drive home, with the possibility of if they have an accident they will surely say its just been serviced

© again not fit the parts inform them on collection but then not allow them to drive home due to it being not safe, problem is you cannot legally impound a customers car and if they wish to drive an unsafe vehicle away from your w/shop they can but if they are stopped again they will give the police the line its just come from the garage and try and act all innocent,

Its just a lose lose fight for most of the small garages :(

Think it's a bit stupid 'warning' the garages that OFT are about to do this.

Of course they will all do the works over the next few weeks - the garages that normally do a proper job will carry on doing so, the cowboys will also be on their guard now!!!

Might be a good time for everyone to put their cars in for a service, now that the garages have been forwarned :)

I really depends on what the Customer has agreed to have carried out, I remember during my apprentiship the garage I worked for had a bit of trouble with one customer as in he brought a vehicle in for a 'Full Service ', Ok not a problem you think

... ... ...

Indeed it's a tricky situation, especially when parts are concerned. But the minimum standard I would require of a "full service" is a complete inspection of all wearing parts and replacement of oil and filters at a minumum. If the vehicle is in a dangerous condition or requires more work then the customer should be informed and if necessary advised not to drive the vehicle until faults have been rectified. It's garages handing back cars that they haven't inspected correctly after just chucking oil in it without identifying the faults that the OFT is after.

I mistakenly thought that because my car was still under manufacturers warranty I had to go to the specific dealer that dealt with them type of cars. So instead of going to my usual reliable mechanic, I took it to a rather large service place. I was absolutely horrified when I went to pick it up and the bill was £260.00. There had been no extra work done - the car was fine - this was just for a full service. I nearly passed out.

Two weeks later my husband takes his car to our usual mechanic - full service, new windscreen wipers, etc etc - £148.00.

Only the other day I found out that I didn't have to take my car to the french car type garage after all - I could have gone anywhere without my warranty being affected.

Me - I feel as sick as a dog now.

Certainly will never go back there and will never recommend them to anyone - and I told this to the french car lady who phoned me up a week later for comments on my service.

You live and you learn

Only the other day I found out that I didn't have to take my car to the french car type garage after all - I could have gone anywhere without my warranty being affected.

This is a a bit of a grey area. My car is a year old and still has two years to run on the warranty. Yes you don't have to use a dealer and can go to an independent garage. But you must make sure that they follow the service requirements as laid out in the service book. They also need to use the manufacturers filters and such like and not just a pattern part. Most modern cars also need to be plugged into a diagnostic computer and not all independent garages will have one.

I'm all for getting a cheaper service if possible, but you need to be very careful that the service you have doesn't affect the cars warranty.

They also need to use the manufacturers filters and such like and not just a pattern part. Most modern cars also need to be plugged into a diagnostic computer and not all independent garages will have one.

That's not really true either. They must use an "equivalent quality part" so Fram or Motaquip filters instead of OE ones are fine, and you'd only plug the car into a diagnostic computer if it's showing a fault on the dash - even so just about all independent garages have an all makes diagnostic machine.

Why on earth have the OFT warned the garages that they will be doing this?!?!?!? However, it is good to see that they are doing something about this as I think it is a trade which leaves the customer completely exposed to being ripped off

It is unfortunate that because of the high spec electrics on most cars these days- its not even possible to carry out minor repairs yourself.

Why on earth have the OFT warned the garages that they will be doing this?!?!?!?

I thought that at first, but better for them all to be aware of it and be 'on their toes' IMO. If they find any 'misbehaving' after such a warning, whoever's identified then deserves what they get. Bad publicity on an island this size can wipe out a small business very easily.

To be effective, this should be an ongoing thing too, done periodically, and not just a one off. It's nice to see the OFT exercising it's muscles on our behalf.

Why on earth have the OFT warned the garages that they will be doing this?!?!?!?

I thought that at first, but better for them all to be aware of it and be 'on their toes' IMO. If they find any 'misbehaving' after such a warning, whoever's identified then deserves what they get. Bad publicity on an island this size can wipe out a small business very easily.

To be effective, this should be an ongoing thing too, done periodically, and not just a one off. It's nice to see the OFT exercising it's muscles on our behalf.

Fully agree Albert and I'm taking my car in for a service very soon.

Do you think taking pictures of the garage will be overdoing it :lol: (only joking for those more serious)

Mind you Albert, I know of a car showroom (not saying where in the West) who appears to get a lot of bad press and is still going. I'm personally never going to buy from them again due to being misled and the service was none existent.

Archived