[BBC News] Garages 'tested' with faulty cars

Newsbot

Back to Digga's post - I think the mistake there was not getting the customer to approve the extra expense. One cursory phone call hardly qualifies as trying to get hold of him, and as fitting brake pads only takes minutes, you could maybe have left actually fitting them until he turned up. Easy to say in hindsight I know.

The best garages also return worn parts so you're in no doubt they had to be replaced...but it's an awful feeling to budget for a garage bill and then find it comes in much higher than anticipated.

Happens to me all the time...but that's probably because I'm an optimistic type and don't like to think I'm being ripped off.

Back to Digga's post - I think the mistake there was not getting the customer to approve the extra expense. One cursory phone call hardly qualifies as trying to get hold of him, and as fitting brake pads only takes minutes, you could maybe have left actually fitting them until he turned up. Easy to say in hindsight I know.

I'd agree I always say - if its more than £50 over what you quoted me give me a bell before I agree it.

They also need to use the manufacturers filters and such like and not just a pattern part. Most modern cars also need to be plugged into a diagnostic computer and not all independent garages will have one.

That's not really true either. They must use an "equivalent quality part" so Fram or Motaquip filters instead of OE ones are fine, and you'd only plug the car into a diagnostic computer if it's showing a fault on the dash - even so just about all independent garages have an all makes diagnostic machine.

Sorry, that's not strictly true. Fram for example make one filter to cover a range of engines, some genuine filters have non return valves to prevent the oil from returning to the sump when switched off. This prevents hydraulic tappet noise and wear, but a non genuine or similar spec one may not have this feature.

The service must be carried out using the manufacturers data and tooling if required, including the diagnostic fault code reader, which needs to have the latest data for your car. The manufacturer updates this usually monthly and sometimes there are new updates to be downloaded into your cars electronic control units. Not all faults illuminate the engine warning light and other areas of the car can have faults recorded (e.g. auto gearbox). The parts must be to the same specification. You would have no trouble with warranty in this case but being sure of specifications is the tricky bit!

Brake pads can also be a funny area, non genuine types may again be rationalised to fit other vehicles and it's not uncommon to have lesser braking performance or judder when using them.

They also need to use the manufacturers filters and such like and not just a pattern part. Most modern cars also need to be plugged into a diagnostic computer and not all independent garages will have one.

That's not really true either. They must use an "equivalent quality part" so Fram or Motaquip filters instead of OE ones are fine, and you'd only plug the car into a diagnostic computer if it's showing a fault on the dash - even so just about all independent garages have an all makes diagnostic machine.

Sorry, that's not strictly true. Fram for example make one filter to cover a range of engines, some genuine filters have non return valves to prevent the oil from returning to the sump when switched off. This prevents hydraulic tappet noise and wear, but a non genuine or similar spec one may not have this feature.

The service must be carried out using the manufacturers data and tooling if required. The parts must be to the same specification. You would have no trouble with warranty in this case but being sure of specifications is the tricky bit!

This is what I meant by an equivalent quality part - I only used Fram and Motaquip as examples, obviously if it's not the same spec then it's not an equivalent quality item is it? Anyway, as I'm sure you know, the likes of Renault, GM, VW etc don't actually manufacture filters anyway - most are manufactured by the likes of Fram, Delphi etc.

Archived