[BBC News] Shopper is indecently assaulted

Newsbot

I think the very fact that this lady has gone to the police eliminates horseplay.

Is it a fact? Did she approach the police, or did Tesco?

No person has the right to touch another person in such a way that it makes that person feel violated.

Would you all be so quick to crack a joke or talk down the incident if it had been a child involved?

Not relevant. I wouldn't crack a joke if somebody had been murdered either, but on the information so far provided, and especially given the loccation, I doubt that this amounted to much more than an annoyance.

It is clear that the police are treating it as a serious incident in so far that they have recovered the cctv tapes, reviewed them, captured the images and released them to the public.

Note that the police haven't called it a "Serious sexual assault".

Sex crimes, even very minor ones, always make news, and thus provide good publicity for the boys in blue.

Here's a scenario: Two shoplifters enter Tesco. One touches a woman on the rear to distract her, while the other attempts to take something from her handbag. Which is more newsworthy, a sexual assault, or a failed attempt at pick-pocketting?

S

so what is a 'decent' assault??

As far as I know, to establish indecent assault (as distinct from common assault) you need to prove:

(1) The accused intentionally assaulted the victim

(2) The assault, or the assault and circumstances accompanying it, are capable of being considered by right-minded persons as indecent

(3) The accused intended to commit such an assault as referred to in (2) above

[Taken from the judgment of the Court of Appeal in R v Court 1989 1 AC 28]

...on the information so far provided, and especially given the loccation, I doubt that this amounted to much more than an annoyance.

One person's annoyance may be another person's indecent assault. As others have said, whether it amounts to indecent assault depends considerably on the perception of the victim.

Sex crimes, even very minor ones, always make news, and thus provide good publicity for the boys in blue.

Here's a scenario: Two shoplifters enter Tesco. One touches a woman on the rear to distract her, while the other attempts to take something from her handbag. Which is more newsworthy, a sexual assault, or a failed attempt at pick-pocketting?

Generally speaking in our society crimes against the person are considered more reprehensible than crimes against property: rightly so, in my humble opinion.

I am pleased to hear that the matter is being taken seriously by the police. Nobody has the right to touch somebody else. Hopefully this will serve as a warning for others who think it is acceptable to invade somebody elses personal space.

Archived