Heads Up

jimbms

Just to let everyone know that due to the weather conditions tomorrow racing start will be delayed, so Douglas could be chaos again at night rush hour, for me I shall come in on the bus and go out on the piss after work

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, I love watching the bikes - more so at the MGP than the TT, but this lunacy has to stop.

There has to be somthing put into Manx law to state that racing cannot take place on public roads between 5 and 6 p.m. And by that I also mean the Southern course too. Take yesterday for example, the weather was set fair for the day so the organisers could have run the Junior race from 6.15, no problem. But no, the rights of a minority are far more important than those of the Manx public. What really gets my goat is when they close the road late for the Vintage parade. Really, who gives a 5hit? I like to see them but not at the expense of the freedom of movement of the island's population. :angry:

What I don't get is that the organisers seem completely oblivious to the havoc that they cause and surely it's the worst possible PR :huh: I mean "Hey! This our sport! It'll screw your your day up no end!!" No wonder so many folk say "bloody bikes", there has to be some compromise. Long gone are the days when the island was a sleepy collection of fishing and ex-mining villages..

And yes, I do live inside the course but no, I definately do not work in the finance sector :lol:

And yes, I do live inside the course but no, I definately do not work much, and would rather sit staring at the tvs in work all day.

:D Fixed your quote!

It does seem mad if the racing is affecting the rush hour. They would be as well cancelling the racing until the next day where possible if it is going to go beyond 5pm.

Don't forget the TT and the MGP are really the majority of what pulls in the islands only tourism. However it has to be a balance of what everyone wants.

Don't forget the TT and the MGP are really the majority of what pulls in the islands only tourism.

I'd still like to see some data some day that backs this myth up. You have to offset what the races cost to put on in terms of marketing costs, event insurance, policing, medical support, staffing, marshalling, all the road works required to keep the course up to scratch for the rest of the year, lost business hours, cost of delays to local businesses etc against what the tourists generate in revenue. I reacon the true cost to stage it every year must be at least £10m probably more - upkeep of the course on the DOT budget must be a few mill a year at least.

Spartacus is right its a pain in the arse and bad organisation makes it a bigger pain in the arse it should not be legal to close the roads between 5 and 6:30 on any working day.

Don't forget the TT and the MGP are really the majority of what pulls in the islands only tourism.

I'd still like to see some data some day that backs this myth up. You have to offset what the races cost to put on in terms of marketing costs, event insurance, policing, medical support, staffing, marshalling, all the road works required to keep the course up to scratch for the rest of the year, lost business hours, cost of delays to local businesses etc against what the tourists generate in revenue. I reacon the true cost to stage it every year must be at least £10m probably more.

Spartacus is right its a pain in the arse and bad organisation makes it a bigger pain in the arse it should not be legal to close the roads between 5 and 6:30 on any working day.

Begs the question then, if it isn't making money why do they still insist on holding both events? Especially if it is making life difficult for the people that actually live on the island.

I'd still like to see some data some day that backs this myth up. You have to offset what the races cost to put on in terms of marketing costs, event insurance, policing, medical support, staffing, marshalling, all the road works required to keep the course up to scratch for the rest of the year, lost business hours, cost of delays to local businesses etc against what the tourists generate in revenue. I reacon the true cost to stage it every year must be at least £10m probably more.

Begs the question then, if it isn't making money why do they still insist on holding both events? Especially if it is making life difficult for the people that actually live on the island.

...cos we don't like change here fella...

its a pain in the arse and bad organisation makes it a bigger pain in the arse it should not be legal to close the roads between 5 and 6:30 on any working day.

'tis indeed... at least I know now that I'm likely to be stuck in traffic and late yet again tomorrow, whereas it was a surprise yesterday.

Interesting too, I called Manx Radio to see if they knew what was happening with the races and road closure and they didn't because the organisers weren't telling them (same in TT by the way!). It seems they're quite keen on clearing and closing the roads - but when it's finally closed it's phones off and two-fingers to the people that have to live and work around it all... it's a bit lousy really.

In terms of costs - who knows, mind you, they must be making a saving by offering the guys staying at the Grandstand paddocks lame facilities, cold water, not enough showers/toilets etc as discussed on Manx Radio last night. Good to know I suppose that the organisers are stuffing those that take part aswell as the people that have to live here.

Anyway - it might not be an issue tomorrow night anyway, from what I gather they're short on marshalls again so it might be abandoned anyway (same as last year from what I recall). The weather forecast looks good to me, sunny intervals and all that nothing like yesterday at all. I'm guessing it may take a while to sort out the lack of marshalls, and that is actually why the races will be delayed.

Farcial! (Bruce Hannay's favourite word!)

It gets better, I've just read this on Manx Radio's website about last nights rush hour traffic chaos:-

"Clerk of the TT Course Phil Taubman has apologised, but says it was circumstances beyond his control which led to racing delays."

The weather is obviously an issue, BUT if you follow on and run a race at 5:30pm, you are going to end up causing difficulty for people.

You can't a run a race at 5:30pm on public roads causing complete gridlock in Douglas, and then say "nothing to do with me mate!".

Anyway - let's hope tomorrow will be better organised and communicated to the public.

I don't work 9 - 5. How are you going to legislate so I can get to work without delay? Or is it that the bloody finance sector is so bloody precious that they must be kept happy at all costs?

How about this for a strange concept, get to 'work' early or stay at 'work' late twice a year. Alternately be like me and have a holiday organised so I am off island when the fun starts. Not rocket science is it?

Peace be with you.

I don't work 9 - 5. How are you going to legislate so I can get to work without delay? Or is it that the bloody finance sector is so bloody precious that they must be kept happy at all costs?

How about this for a strange concept, get to 'work' early or stay at 'work' late twice a year. Alternately be like me and have a holiday organised so I am off island when the fun starts. Not rocket science is it?

Peace be with you.

Er, well - the guy next to me is on holiday - and so is someone else, now unfortunately the modern world doesn't allow businesses to let all of their staff go on holiday at the same time. The residents and workers, businesses etc can't just close down for 2/4 weeks a year - otherwise we'd be in even more of a mess. Trust me, if my business shut down and we all went on holiday you'd all be moaning!!!!

I'm happy to work around the races, and I do the work early and late thing - but there should be some sort of race schedule protocol. There's a timetable, with plans for delays etc, gap days etc - but running a race in rush hour is just selfish and stupid.

Archived