Heads Up

jimbms

No, you are Manx, or supposedly Manx, and that’s where this particular problem lies?

Isn't the TT and the MGP a Manx invention/institution, and isn't it the Manx who seem to do all the complaining about it!

So because we're manx, we have to agree with everything all manxmen invite visitors too? What kind of bullshit is that?

And I'm not just going on about this years MGP problems with delays and traffic congestion, but the whole thing in general year in year out!

It's your Island, and it's your Government that hosts and backs these events, so why have a go at the visitors and competitors. If the event wasn't on, we wouldn't visit (For the TT/MGP anyway) but simply as tourists.

I think most people here are questioning the point of the event, not the visitors. There's hardly any visitors to the mgp to complain about.

You are opening this debate way past the actual point in question.

My point here is that a so-called Manxman has told visitors and competitors to F**k Off, implying that these people are the root of the problem. However, and as adults, we all know that the problem is far deeper, and only one that can be resolved locally, and not by the competitors or for that matter the visitors.

It's like the spot on the end of your big nose, we can see it, but you either can't or wont see it :-)

I'll leave it there I think, as unless we can debate this in a civilised manner (Impossible on this forum) then it's pointless continuing with it!

Kev

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point here is that a so-called Manxman has told visitors and competitors to F**k Off, implying that these people are the root of the problem. However, and as adults, we all know that the problem is far deeper, and only one that can be resolved locally, and not by the competitors or for that matter the visitors.

It's like the spot on the end of your big nose, we can see it, but you either can't or wont see it :-)

I'll leave it there I think, as unless we can debate this in a civilised manner (Impossible on this forum) then it's pointless continuing with it!

Kev

Oh the hypocracy. This is a 14 page thread, yet you're only prepared to discuss the one link you contributed, and that's on another forum?

I do like the insistance on civilised debate from a guy who responded (illegally by the way) by threatening to know where someone lives and thus pay them a visit. I cant see past my nose? Ahaha!

No, you are Manx, or supposedly Manx, and that’s where this particular problem lies?

Isn't the TT and the MGP a Manx invention/institution, and isn't it the Manx who seem to do all the complaining about it!

So because we're manx, we have to agree with everything all manxmen invite visitors too? What kind of bullshit is that?

And I'm not just going on about this years MGP problems with delays and traffic congestion, but the whole thing in general year in year out!

It's your Island, and it's your Government that hosts and backs these events, so why have a go at the visitors and competitors. If the event wasn't on, we wouldn't visit (For the TT/MGP anyway) but simply as tourists.

I think most people here are questioning the point of the event, not the visitors. There's hardly any visitors to the mgp to complain about.

Kev

What is there to debate? Someone's trolled a TT forum telling people to fuck off. What's it got to do with this forum? What do you want to debate? You've made your point about it, nobody's disagreed with you, and I doubt if anybody really cares. It's an episode of irrelevance that occurred on the internet.

The only interesting thing about the thread that you linked to was that you made a cock out of yourself with a "joke" about paying him a visit.

What is there to debate? Someone's trolled a TT forum telling people to fuck off. What's it got to do with this forum? What do you want to debate? You've made your point about it, nobody's disagreed with you, and I doubt if anybody really cares. It's an episode of irrelevance that occurred on the internet.

I think the issue is that he's a complete tool who thought he'd get mass shock from this forum that somebody Manx posted something saying he hated the MGP. Oh the shock !! We should all run him into the sea for suggesting it. That appears to have backfired big style in addition to drawing to other peoples attention a particularly nasty trait end2endrider seems to have in issuing threats of paying people a visit because he does not like what they posted. I'd be more worried about someone issuing threats to posters rather than somebody posting obsenities and would suggest whoever hosts the TT site deals with that one.

The original poster was obviously an idiot in telling people to f**k off but its maybe one of those posts you make after a few beers which clearly served its purpose in winding people up. What you have found out though is that many Manx people don't like the MGP and maybe you suggest those that don't hand their passports in and hang their heads in shame? Get real.

I know it's frustrating to be caught in traffic and it always seems that you are jammed up for longer than you actually are. Comparing it to everyday life in parts of the UK is I suppose unhelpful but it's a fact.

The MGP organisers were left with little choice as they were working to forcasts from the Met office. The roads were not closed for long periods with nothing happening, the minimum time from closing to starting racing is three quarters of an hour if there is no problem with the roads. They kept the roads open right up until that minimum time.

Slagging off a great sporting event is just childish and selfish in the extreme. The MGP is a true amateur event which attracts a lot more riders and supporters than the TT. Add enthusiasts from around the world, the various clubs and organisations who attend every year and individuals who live for the event (believe me, living on this tiny island you would never be able to appreciate the esteem that we are held in by bikers in general). Just because the roads are not jammed with bikers etc. doesn't mean it isn't a popular event. That would be something else for the whingers on here to moan about!!

I'm only glad that this forum is not a true cross section of public opinion, as I have not heard ANY criticism of the event or its organisers over the weekend, and I have spoken to a good range of people. Yes it was a disaster weather wise but the spirit and atmosphere of the event was as strong as it ever was.

I've said it before, if the TT and MGP go you will miss them more than you will know. And there are not enough herring in the Irish Sea these days so it'll be spuds on their own!

Slagging off a great sporting event is just childish and selfish in the extreme.

Discounting peoples opinions on something that affects their lives is childish and selfish to the extreme.

The MGP is a true amateur event which attracts a lot more riders and supporters than the TT.

More supporters than the TT? My arse. What evidence have you to back that up?

I'm only glad that this forum is not a true cross section of public opinion, as I have not heard ANY criticism of the event or its organisers over the weekend, and I have spoken to a good range of people. Yes it was a disaster weather wise but the spirit and atmosphere of the event was as strong as it ever was.

I'm guessing the only public opinion you'll accept is one that agrees with you. How about the IOMToday survey, that said 65% of voters think that commuter traffic should come before the MGP. That not enough for you?

I've said it before, if the TT and MGP go you will miss them more than you will know. And there are not enough herring in the Irish Sea these days so it'll be spuds on their own!

Why will we miss them?

How about the IOMToday survey, that said 65% of voters think that commuter traffic should come before the MGP. That not enough for you?

I take their surveys with a pinch of salt. I tested adding votes a while ago and you could just add as many as you like. A bit like govt 'consultation' websites.

If push comes to shove, and people have to demonstrate their support for the TT and MGP, I think it will have at least 90% support.

One traffic jam, which in the main was caused by two concurrent accidents according to a Sgt I was talking to, and a handful of vocal complainers, are sod all in the big scheme of things.

Ahhhh ...2001 ...the year when we ate nothing but potatoes ......seriously who missed the TT & MGP in 2001?

If push comes to shove, and people have to demonstrate their support for the TT and MGP, I think it will have at least 90% support.

One traffic jam, which in the main was caused by two concurrent accidents according to a Sgt I was talking to, and a handful of vocal complainers, are sod all in the big scheme of things.

The IOM Online votes are hardly scientific, but that's all we got, everything else is anacdotal. I don't think you'd see anything like 90% of the population supporting the MGP, it just doesn't feature on anyones radar other than as an inconvenience. The TT at least has a festival atmosphere for non racing fans to enjoy.

Discounting peoples opinions on something that affects their lives is childish and selfish to the extreme.

I don't discount peoples opinions? Don't discount mine.

More supporters than the TT? My arse. What evidence have you to back that up?

I said more riders and supporters (family and friends). It's a fact. Count the individual entries for each event

I'm guessing the only public opinion you'll accept is one that agrees with you. How about the IOMToday survey, that said 65% of voters think that commuter traffic should come before the MGP. That not enough for you?

No. 65% of how many respondents?

Why will we miss them?

Because life on this island will become just like any backwater of the UK, bland and boring, a different profile of population will appear with nothing to bind us together. I think the TT and MGP actually help us all to get on together as a community, despite our differences. There would be a huge class divide I'm sure!

.......... with nothing to bind us together.

On the evidence of this thread, and some others, the TT issue is divisive, rather than binding.

If I were a TT supporter, I would urge the government to publish the figures showing what is spent on the TT, and what it brings in. The absence of such figures suggests to the anti-TT brigade that the TT is actually a loss-maker as well as an inconvenience.

Personally, I have no idea what the real situation is, but it is disturbing that the government refuses to divulge any information.

S

If I were a TT supporter, I would urge the government to publish the figures showing what is spent on the TT, and what it brings in. The absence of such figures suggests to the anti-TT brigade that the TT is actually a loss-maker as well as an inconvenience.

How would they know what it brings in? They can guess of course, but the only obvious beneficiaries are Bushy's, the Steam Packet, a few B&Bs, and some burger vans.

The TT brings in around £48M, according to the last treasury comment I remember. That's for £8.M out.

That figure was a DTL estimate http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/isle_of_man/7064579.stm

Treasury economic stats are mostly 2 to 3 years behind current date (see their GDP figure on their web site for example) and they don't measure measure net revenue from the TT, or any other specific event as far as I know. Certainly not on outgoings like lost productivity, etc, while the event is on.

I stand to be corrected though.

Archived