Heads Up

jimbms

wasn't that 48M for the centenary TT which was estimated as bringing in possibly twice the usual receipts - the outgoings are the direct spend (mostly on freebies + publicity machine) and don't include extra costs for roads (eg a rough estimate of over 50% of annual road maintenance on TT course), additional police activity, cost of hospital etc and totally neglects the many thousand individual disbenefits (eg last weeks jam)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And those figures say "contributed £48m to the economy" which is nothing like "made £48m"

Lets keep dreaming on about these wonderful estimated, finger in the air, unfortunately no stats to back it up figures.

With respect, Albert said "brought in £48m", not "made £48m".

But it was the centenary, and it is obvious that no effort at all has been made to ascertain the true costs. Or, should I say, to PUBLISH the true costs.

So the jury is still out, and wondering: "why the secrecy?".

S

Because they don't know. There's no revenue from ticket sales because it's free to watch. I'd imagine that there's relatviely little income from sponsors or TV rights. It just brings in more spending in the shops etc (mostly Steam Packet and Bushy's), which is impossible to accurately calculate.

Because they don't know. There's no revenue from ticket sales because it's free to watch. I'd imagine that there's relatviely little income from sponsors or TV rights. It just brings in more spending in the shops etc (mostly Steam Packet and Bushy's), which is impossible to accurately calculate.

Given that they spend quite a lot of money on it, it's their job to at least estimate the costs and benefits. Government costs are easy to track, and revenue can be estimated from bank cash-flows, VAT returns, statistical sampling, beer duty receipts, and goodness knows what else.

S

I just skimmed through this thread and to be honest the only thing of note was our resident narcissisisist doing the usual trick of trolling people he believes are less importance than himself, and massaging that healthy ego again. :rolleyes:

office bods were probably tucked up home safe in bed with only whether they're going to have to explain why they're late for a meaningless job to worry about), but it's all part of my infinetely more rewarding job, so what the hell!

For what it's worth Stuart, I rather enjoy my meaningless office job most of the time, but obviously it's not nearly as significant and world changing as saving blind orphans by skydiving whilst wrestling with flying alligators, or whatever you do that's so (self) important.

No offence. :P

Only skimmed this thread on and off as well. But I was caught up in the traffic when racing was delayed and, yes, it was a pain in the butt (I had to collect my son from his holiday club travelling from work in Finch Road to Murray's Road School which hit about every feed onto the prom and was chocca), but it was a one off and surely does not mean that we have to employ extreme traffic management measures to cope with the once in a year snarl up. TT is worse than MGP because of the volume, but again, the traffic wasn't that bad and kept moving, albeit at a snail's pace.

When you have to cope with that volume and disruption on a weekly basis then that is time to start looking at permanent traffic measures.

I just skimmed through this thread and to be honest the only thing of note was our resident narcissisisist doing the usual trick of trolling people he believes are less importance than himself, and massaging that healthy ego again. :rolleyes:

office bods were probably tucked up home safe in bed with only whether they're going to have to explain why they're late for a meaningless job to worry about), but it's all part of my infinetely more rewarding job, so what the hell!

For what it's worth Stuart, I rather enjoy my meaningless office job most of the time, but obviously it's not nearly as significant and world changing as saving blind orphans by skydiving whilst wrestling with flying alligators, or whatever you do that's so (self) important.

No offence. :P

I also clocked this post, but thought why bother, when has StuartT ever listened to anyone except himself.

So to jump on the bandwagon, I officially work 9 - 5.30, and could be considered an office worker (not shift work - as if that makes a difference to what sort of person you are) and enjoy my job thoroughly. I officially start at 9am but am in work for 8am everyday and often work through the night - what for? A common goal in our business, to succeed. As a company the more we succeed the more we benefit and its shared like that. I also have a passion for a sport that is completley weather dependant and if I want I can leave work at anytime to pursue that. The work just gets done when it needs to be. I get up every morning looking forward to work and that never changes, I wouldn't swap it for anything - except a euro millions win of course!

I blame the kilt that he wears.

Oh and just to continue the thread:

I'd like the MGP to be rolled out as an extra week to TT - get it over and done in one shot.

I'm only glad that this forum is not a true cross section of public opinion, as I have not heard ANY criticism of the event or its organisers over the weekend, and I have spoken to a good range of people. Yes it was a disaster weather wise but the spirit and atmosphere of the event was as strong as it ever was.

Max Power - why isn't MF considered a 'true cross section' of public opinion? If MORI were doing a poll then the usually do a cross section of 1000 people (regardless of who they are) - surely this forum supports that many active members? Just because you have spoken to people doesn't mean 'ANY' criticism has not been lodged. With vested interest perhaps you are only speaking to people, in your circle of friends, who wouldn't criticise?

I think the main problem people had was the uncertainty of the road closures due to the weather.

First they would be shutting, then they wouldn't, then maybe, then not... except maybe they would.

I wanted to get out on Saturday to do boring things like visiting friends and shopping, but couldn't because I didn't know when I'd be able to get home again.

Some people might say - "Well regular updates were on Manx Radio", fine, but not many offices allow people to have the radio on during the working day. The MGP website wasn't always updated as quickly as it could have been, either.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other about the TT/MGP, as long as there is minimal disruption to normal life.

I'd like the MGP to be rolled out as an extra week to TT - get it over and done in one shot.

It doesn't even need to be a whole week. A day or two at most.

But, on the island the TT and MGP are normal life. The ability to adapt your life to them is mone of the signs of acceptance of island life and make things interesting.

One of the shortest replys to this topic yet I would say the wisest

I'm only glad that this forum is not a true cross section of public opinion, as I have not heard ANY criticism of the event or its organisers over the weekend, and I have spoken to a good range of people. Yes it was a disaster weather wise but the spirit and atmosphere of the event was as strong as it ever was.

Max Power - why isn't MF considered a 'true cross section' of public opinion? If MORI were doing a poll then the usually do a cross section of 1000 people (regardless of who they are) - surely this forum supports that many active members? Just because you have spoken to people doesn't mean 'ANY' criticism has not been lodged. With vested interest perhaps you are only speaking to people, in your circle of friends, who wouldn't criticise?

Asking a question relating to a traffic jam that has affected a lot of people is going to extract a response from those people. All I'm saying is that 65% of a survey on that basis doesn't really sound like a damning indictment if the overall situation was as bad as everyone says? It is something that happens on occassion not every day, not even every TT or MGP and it was exaggerated by a couple of accidents not related to the event.

Did you see the traffic recently when the road was closed by the Nunnery?

As for running the event after the TT or over a couple of days, this is virtually impossible for many reasons, least of all the strain it would put on the organisation of both events and the lack of practice time available.

I'm not a big fan of Tynwald Day or the horse trams (dangerous if you ask me), but they have their place in our culture and have for many years before any of us were born. Just like the TT and MGP.

Archived